1 Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:42 AM

The seal on my FV tap has been damaged. I've only done 4 brews and it has a small tear in it and is now leaking, I have always lubed it up with a small amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil as instructed.

Can I buy these seals separately or do I need to buy a whole new tap? Obviously don't want to have to replace every 4 brews so is there something else I could do to prevent it from happening again?

Cheers
Wade

Scrap all that, just seen the old thread discussing, I've bought a new tap with free delivery.

2 Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 6:55 PM

If the tap has failed early, despite looking after it and lubricating the rubber overmouldings, our customer service department would like to know about it. Give ém a yell.

customerservice@coopers.com.au
1300 654 455

3 Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:30 AM

I notice the instructions suggest you wet the seal when inserting the tap and yet other resources suggest using some olive oil - Was water for the old style tap?

Also in regards to sanitising the tap, would you sanitise the tap and then apply the olive oil? Or is the olive oil only applied when the tap is not in use and in storage?

4 Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:33 PM

Water is not as effective as olive oil.

Apply olive oil just prior to inserting the tap into the Fermenting Vessel.

During storage or if not being used straight away, it's best to keep the tap separated.

5 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:31 AM

PB2:

During storage or if not being used straight away, it's best to keep the tap separated.

Always been a bit wary of the idea of putting some foreign substance i.e. olive oil in very close contact with the beer that is fermenting.

More comfortable in wetting with water/sterilising fluid. But if it HAS to be olive oil so be it.

Thoughts?

6 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:39 AM

PB2:

Had a look at the Coopers store and read the info on the taps. “New design” says the info, “Note: no lubrication required when fitting.”

Now I'm confused. The taps on the website look identical to the one in my FV.

So do we lubricate or not?

7 Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:02 PM

I've been told recently that olive oil might be a bad idea and to use some keg seal lubricant instead.

Dunno if the bit about the olive oil is true, but keg lube sure sounds like a good idea!

In the meantime I've noticed that startsan solution does a pretty good job of making things slippery anyway so I'm just using that.

8 Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:57 PM

DonPolo:

Had a look at the Coopers store and read the info on the taps. “New design” says the info, “Note: no lubrication required when fitting.”

Now I'm confused. The taps on the website look identical to the one in my FV.

So do we lubricate or not?

I've just ordered a couple of these new taps. I will compare and review… I'm not sure how recent these “New” design taps are but I think coopers was still recommending olive oil lucubration in the later half of last year.

This week while bottling I flicked the tap lever and beer squirted through the top of the tap (where the lever connects). Turned out the rubber thing inside had a tear that was ok until the lever was moved. Nothing to do with lubrication - the rubber that failed was internal. I used my last spare rubber thing (from a broken tap) - so time to restock.

On lubrication - I've been using the same food grade lube that I already have for my coffee machine. Easy to apply and not so oily.

9 Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:34 PM

So what about sanitation? After cleaning up the FV following a brew, I soak it in perc over night which obviously requires me to keep the tap in. I suppose some of the tap gets a treatment but not all the way through.

When I empty the FV it is through the tap which obviously gives it a bit of a flush out but nothing like an overnight soaking, disassembled, which I did last time.

Is the special treatment for the tap necessary? Or would the current regime of flushing the perc solution through and then sanitising with Starsan or its equivalent before reassembling and fitting to the FV be enough?

Last edited by DonPolo (Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:34 PM)