1 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 12:19 PM

Hy guys,
I recently did a really simple Hefe brew with

1.7Kg can of Thomas Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat
1.7Kg can Black Rock Wheat Malt Liquid
11.5 gm Lallemand Munich Wheat Beer yeast
21 litres water, pitched at 18C

Now I didn't do a O.G. reading for some reason, but brewersfriend suggest around 1.047 for 2.4Kg wheat malt.

The brew seemed to be going well, after around 5 days I raised the temp from 18 to 19.5

Day 8 I racked to a secondary.

Day 12 the gravity was 1.018

Day 14 1.018

This seemed too high so I rehyrdated the yeast from the coopers hefe kit and added, but this didn't seem to do anything, so I cold crashed after a couple more days as the gravity was changing.

It tasted pretty sweet when I was bottling so I don't know if this beer will be any good?

So to cut to the chase
Can a hefe be okay with a FG of 1.018 or is this beer doomed?

2 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 12:52 PM

dragit:

What is the purpose of that?

3 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:31 PM

Ben 10:

dragit:

What is the purpose of that?

I realise this can be a point of contention, but obviously it's to take the beer off the yeast cake.

4 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:39 PM

And you're wondering why fermentation has stalled?

I understood the idea was to rack post fermentation?

5 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:40 PM

It really doesn't need to be taken off the yeast cake that early. Potential problems with leaving beer on the yeast only become a real risk after about 3 weeks. That isn't to say that leaving the beer on the yeast longer than that will cause problems, but the risk is greater.

Wheat beers aren't my specialty but it doesn't sound finished at that high of a gravity reading. Was the reading taken with a hydrometer or refractometer?

6 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 2:03 PM

Ben 10:

And you're wondering why fermentation has stalled?

No not really, I realise where I might have gone wrong, it appeared to be finished but I could have easily got it wrong.

Hence why I threw in another pack of yeast which didn't help ferment out any further.

Thanks for your help mate.

Otto Von Blotto:

Wheat beers aren't my specialty but it doesn't sound finished at that high of a gravity reading. Was the reading taken with a hydrometer or refractometer?

It was with a hydrometer, I guess I could be at risk of some bottle bombs if it does decide to ferment out in the bottle.

7 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 2:09 PM

PET bottles will be okay as you can de gas.
I've done some wheats and I don't think it was done at 1018.

All the best

8 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 6:46 PM

Im thinking FG is about right. Wheats often have the sweet taste. I lived in Germany for couple years and was quite surprised to how sweet some of them were.

9 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 8:02 PM

It's probably from the low hopping levels more than a high FG. According to the style guidelines at least, only the Weizenbock has an FG around this 1.018 level (1.015-1.022), the others are all around 1.010-1.014.

10 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 9:48 PM

I've got my first wheat beer in the fermenter at the moment and it looks like it's stopped at 1.014. The Spreadsheet says it should get to 1.011 but I doubt it will. Not many of my brews seem to quite reach the target final gravity on the spreadsheet though so I just use it as a general guide. I'll check again tomorrow before I cold crash prior to bottling.
Considering yours is 21L plus the extra 200g of malt vs mine at 23L, it doesn't seem too far off.

My recipe is
TC Preachers Hefe
1.5kg TC wheat malt
Kit yeast

11 Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:36 AM

Thanks guys, hopefully ends up drinkable at any rateā€¦ I really put this one down for my mates who don't go for the hop madness that I love.

Last edited by dragit (Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:36 AM)