1 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 10:57 AM

G'day Team,

I have a question I need some help with…

Back story: First brew I've done for quite a few years. I've made a coopers lager kit with a saflager yeast and dry-hopped some Czech Saaz hops with it (Going for a Pilsner style that works in the winter 14 deg cel temps in my cupboard) I've assessed my brew has finished fermenting (OG 1.035) steady on 1.010 for 3 days now, so a bit of a mid strength…? I thought it would get down to around 1.004 but it hasn't budged.
I have to leave for 2 weeks on Saturday, so…

Question: Do I bottle it now so it's ready to drink when I get back? Or, cold crash for a few days then bottle before I go? Will 3/4 days be enough? I'm under the assumption that you want around 7 days…

I'm happy to receive any advice. Cheers.

2 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:08 AM

I'd be careful dry hopping with Saaz, they are known to leave grassy tones in the beer. Lusty tried it once and only left them in a couple of days and it was fine but the longer they're left the more the risk of it happening. I brew a lot of pilsners and never dry hop them at all, aside from that risk it isn't a style that is dry hopped anyway.

You could either bottle it now or give a few days crashing first. Either way it will be carbonated by the time you get back. If you can remove the dry hops, do so, then crash chill it, if not then I'd just bottle it.

3 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:16 AM

Yeah I removed the Saaz after 4 days, that was the homebrew shop recommendation. Quick sample tasting has it really quite good, no grassy tones.

4 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 2:14 PM

Might as well give it a few days chilled then bottle it before you head away. It should be nicely carbonated by the time you return.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Monday, June 19, 2017 2:14 PM)