1 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 6:17 AM

Hey guys, i bought my sack of maris otter at the weekend and as I tend to do dark beers like stouts and porters i have fuggles and EKG on hand. Was thinking about doing a lighter brew was thinking of a Maris Otter fuggles SMASH.
5kg maris otter
30g fuggles 60min
30g fuggles 30min
30g fuggles 15min

Not sure what this style would be closest to but was thinking a sparkling ale.

Would this work?

2 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 6:26 AM

Was also thinking of a lager yeast and using current ambient in melbourne which ranges between10 and 16 deg. Or is this to much temperature swing.

3 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:01 AM

Hey Titan

English Bitter

I did my English County SMASH Ale as follows:

4kg Maris Otter (mashed at 66 degrees for 60 mins)
40g Fuggles First Wort & 60 minute boil
20g Fuggles @ 15 mins
15g Fuggle @ 10 mins

Nottingham

It was excellent. It was my best beer of 2015 according to this thread

I think you will love the combination, here is my original review on page 36 post 719

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

4 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:03 AM

Titan8:

Was also thinking of a lager yeast and using current ambient in melbourne which ranges between10 and 16 deg. Or is this to much temperature swing.

I am not a purist, however I think the results will be less than optimal with a lager yeast.

5 Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:27 PM

Cheers Scottie, maybe just the tight Scotsman coming out to save a $ on temperture control. You are correct of course, ale yeast would provide a better flavour profile and Nottingham is on of my favorites.

6 Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:53 AM

Titan8:

Other options that you could consider are a ale/lager yeast combo. That's what I've been using for the last couple of months. Also, a recent brew I used ale yeast but then added in a lager strain (slurry) toward the end of fermentation so that bottle carbonation is assured during these colder months.

As for temperature swings I don't of any hard data out there that would give you a clear idea of the actual impact this would have. I know Brulosophy did a recent trial that seemed to suggest the impact was minimal. I'm guessing you can't get your fermenter into a laundry tub or similar? I achieve quite stable temps with the aid of a small aquarium heater during the critical phase of fermentation, i.e. the first few days. We have similar ambient temperatures to you and my FV has sat steady between 18 - 19ยบ for 3 days now.

7 Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:10 AM

I would also go the ale yeast in that situation, I think it would suit the style a lot more than a lager yeast. The ale/lager blend would also work, but I suspect if you have no kits there then you probably don't have any of that yeast either, although since you keg you beer, bottle carbonation isn't something that needs to be worried about.

I've only ever done one SMASH brew which was also with MO but with Centennial hops. It was a nice beer but it lacked the malt complexity of my usual pale ale grists so I never did another one. Maybe it should have been mashed higher.

8 Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:25 AM

Otto Von Blotto:

I've only ever done one SMASH brew which was also with MO but with Centennial hops. It was a nice beer but it lacked the malt complexity of my usual pale ale grists so I never did another one. Maybe it should have been mashed higher.

I've only done one SMASH too, MO and Simcoe. It was OK but also a bit plain I felt.

9 Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:41 AM

I actually just ordered some Vienna malt to do a Vienna and Centennial SMASH beer - I'm trying to get rid of some of the hops I've had on hand for awhile now.

As far as an MO version, I have to agree with a couple of the comments above. With just a base malt I'd imagine a slightly higher mash temp and a not so attenuative English ale yeast would add a bit more interest to it.

10 Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:26 PM

Titan has inspired me and I will be revisiting my recipe on Saturday.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

11 Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 8:57 PM

Im thinking of doing a Maris Otter/Southern Cross SMaSH for my next brewday. The recipe will be something like this.

5kg Maris Otter. 60 min mash at 66C
10g Southern Cross FWH 60 mins. 14.1%AA
1 Whirlfloc 10 min.
20g Southern Cross 5 mins. 14.1%AA
Flameout steep for 15 mins.
Whirlpool, then let settle for another 15 mins.
20g Southern Cross cube hop. 14.1%AA
50g Southern Cross dry hop
Safale S04 from starter

It will be a bunch of firsts for me with this batch. First time using my new grain mill, first time using Maris Otter, Southern Cross and S04! Any hints and tips would be much appriciated!

And sorry Titan for hijacking this thread

12 Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 10:10 PM

Increase the mash temp to about 68, otherwise it ferments out too low and you get no real malt influence in the beer. Not much use if you're trying to see what MO tastes like. I made that mistake with my SMASH brew, if I do brew another one it will be with a higher mash temp.

13 Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 10:31 PM

Cool, thanks dude!

Last edited by Rowbrew (Tuesday, July 04, 2017 10:31 PM)