Look out world

Ought to be able to build a shelf to get two fermenters in there as well

2 Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:12 AM

Congratulations!

Two FV? You going to do double batches?

Cheers,

Christina.

3 Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:28 AM

Nah, I often have two separate batches on the go. I've been brewing in fits and bursts lately

4 Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:27 PM

So, fridge shelves … how much weight can they hold anyway?

5 Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 9:17 PM

The glass shelves in my fermenting freezer hold at least 23 litres but they bend a bit and I've been meaning to put a plywood shelf in

6 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:10 AM

Congratulations dude, it makes such a difference to the brews.

Are you going to be using a stc to control it? Make sure you change some settings.

I picked up a $50 gum tree fridge back in March and wired a STC 1000 into it, and it was fine until a month ago when I added a heat belt to warm everything up as ambient was too cold in my shed for the yeast to work.
I didn't turn up the cooling lag time on the stc and I only had a 0.5 degree tolerance set, so I killed the compressor from the rapid cycling between heat and cool. Looks like a new fridge for me in the spring.

7 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:42 AM

Mine was cycling the same meves. I read on here not to heat the brew, but the environment. So I moved heat belt so it was draped over rather than around the FV.

Worked well, the heat belt.was operating, fridge was not. No yo yo, no compressor probs. If it gets really cold I might need a reptile heater cord to warm the space.

8 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:45 AM

Oh yeah King Rudd the wire shelves that came with my fridge could not support a full FV. Had to make a plywood shelf. It's not perfect because air doesn't flow through it, so fermenting two FVs means I one is warmer than the other.

I've been meaning to drill holes for circulation and/or install some.computer fans. But I've been surviving on one FV at a time for nkw

9 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 2:11 PM

The wire shelf in my fridge does support 23 litres. Bends a bit mind.

I've been thinking about what to replace it with. Something with holes in.
I've thought if I were able to get one of those plastic bread crates and cut
it to size it would be idea. I will probably be getting rid of my larger fridge
soon though, so I'm not really worried about it.

10 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 3:05 PM

Nice. I have a wire shelf in mine. Has two fv on one shelf, a row of tiles then another shelf on top of tiles That takes the bow out.
Happy brewing

11 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 5:28 PM

King Ruddager:

So, fridge shelves … how much weight can they hold anyway?

I've got a relatively modern fridge with plastic shelves which have no hope of holding over 25kg. Even the plastic top on the vege cripser was too shitty to put any weight on. I got a piece of timber… I cant remember what it is, and put a hole saw through it a few times to allow airflow, then spray painted all the exposed timber to prevent mould.

I just got given a second fridge with old wire shelves which feel like I could park a car on them…

12 Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:23 PM

Graculus:

I've thought if I were able to get one of those plastic bread crates and cut
it to size it would be idea.

I LOVE this idea!!!! What an awesome hack. I'll do this soon and report back. Should be plenty of ventilation and strength in a bread crate

13 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:30 PM

Hey what's that “fast lager” method that Otto uses?

14 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:01 PM

Nice.

I'd definitely make custom shelves for a brewing fridge, I'm even going to make custom shelves for the beer fridge that I have, because those plastic shelves are junk.

I like the bread crate idea, only problem I foresee is thickness if it needs to fit into a slot, would probably be inclined to frame it also.

Cheers

JP

15 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:53 PM

quick question guys.
I was looking at getting a bar fridge about a 140 - 105lt fridge for fermenting in summer and cold crash also.
Do bar fridges get as cold as normal fridges?
Never had one.

16 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:40 PM

King Ruddager:

Hey what's that “fast lager” method that Otto uses?

Ask and you shall receive.

17 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:50 PM

Brulosophy is where I got the method from but I don't do it exactly like that. The main difference in mine I think is that I cold crash for 2 weeks rather than only 1 week.

Basically it's this:

Pitch and ferment at 10C (or whatever your preferred temp is)
Take an SG reading after 5 days have passed, if it's around that half way point I raise the temp to 18C*, if not then I wait another day because it will most likely be there by then.
Take FG samples after 10 and 12 days. The beer should be at FG by this point.
After 14 days drop the temp to 0C and ‘lager’ for two weeks, then bottle or keg.

*All I do here is raise the temp on the controller to 18C and let the brew come up by itself inside the fridge, not force it up artificially.

18 Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:19 PM

I picked up a working fridge off gumtree for free.
And intent to use it with a hanging heat belt to warm the air.
I was looking. At the stc1000 on eBay and tinker with it to set up the two control environment.
But it's a bit too electrical for me.
I found this on eBay.
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/391743093021?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20161006002618&meid=f25fe01e0414499ba9a5077fa5c8aea4&pid=100694&rk=7&rkt=47&sd=272650406082&_trksid=p2385738.c100694.m4598&_mwBanner=1
And I think I'll just have to assess what time of year it is. If it's cold I plug the belt into it. If it's hot I plug the fridge into it.
I could also supplement the fridge by chucking in blocks of ice into the crisper or something.

Does anybody else run these temp timer switches?
Just have to manually choose if your in heating mode of chilling mode.

19 Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:59 AM

Don't waste time with those one or the other type things mate… it's just making it more complicated than it needs to be. If you don't want to wire up the STC, these have a good reputation http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-ITC-308S-AU-PLUG-Temperature-Controller-1-97-Probe-240V-Sous-vide-Brew-/331875284839?epid=535835763&hash=item4d454ef767:g:tT4AAOSwqBJXVnh-

You can plug the heater and fridge in at the same time, same as the STC. If you go with that other one you'd have to constantly check the temperature to make sure it's not getting too hot or cold, which defeats the whole purpose of it being “set and forget”.

20 Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Brulosophy hey? Thanks for the link