1 Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 1:32 PM

Time for a dedicated thread for this project I think, rather than leveraging off of BlackSands' "3.0 vols CO2" thread.

The story so far …

I have an idea for a bottle that has a thermometer and pressure gauge built in. The thermometer is easy - I'll just use a stick-on style one. Done. The pressure gauge seemed easy too so I bought a couple of these from eBay:

One problem though - it turns out it has a tapered thread (NPT) which I found it very hard to get a nut for. I tried plumbing stores and auto stores and in the end I went to a hose fitting place that hooked me up with a “reducing bush” and some washers:

All set!! Now all I have to do is build it and test it

Building is going to be a matter of trial and error in order to get a proper seal. I'm hoping that I can actually just clamp it on hard enough to seal against the soft plasticy thing inside the lid of the cap without the need for anything else.

So to test it, if I have to wait until I bottle another batch of beer each time it's obviously going to be annoying. I guess the best thing to do will be to reactivate some yeast, so I'll collect the dregs out of a few bottles, add a bit of DME solution and see what happens.

Watch this space!

2 Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 2:18 PM

Look forward to seeing your results here , well done Ruddy

3 Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 3:35 PM

You could also test it with some cheap no name soda water, either screw your coopers cap on the soda bottle, or, pour soda water into your 750cc coopers bottle and put the lid on that, then shake it up a bit. Then with the leftovers, you could make a Mixer Drink like with spirits etc costing a small fortune with a slice of lime and a little umbrella or just pour it down the drain and have a beer :-)

I am also keen to see how your experiment goes KR. You will need thread tape and ideally I suspect silicone washers and 2 thin nuts with matching metal washers.

4 Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 5:15 PM

headmaster:

You could also test it with some cheap no name soda water, either screw your coopers cap on the soda bottle, or, pour soda water into your 750cc coopers bottle and put the lid on that, then shake it up a bit. Then with the leftovers, you could make a Mixer Drink like with spirits etc costing a small fortune with a slice of lime and a little umbrella or just pour it down the drain and have a beer :-)

I am also keen to see how your experiment goes KR. You will need thread tape and ideally I suspect silicone washers and 2 thin nuts with matching metal washers.

“Soda” bottle ??

5 Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 5:20 PM

headmaster:

You could also test it with some cheap no name soda water …

That's a great idea! We've got a Soda Stream so I could get almost instant, controlled(ish) results from that.

6 Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 8:14 AM

King Ruddager:

Watch this space!

Watching!

7 Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 10:08 AM

You could get a setup using something like this this , this and this.

8 Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 10:24 AM

Not on a sock-eating-dog-vet-bill budget I can't!

9 Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 1:51 PM

Leaks air pretty badly, but a good start I haven't even tried to make it air-tight yet

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

10 Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 2:44 PM

Added teflon tape and it's holding steady at 1.9

11 Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 9:31 PM

Quick update why not After a few hours it seemed to be sloooowly dropping and was down to 1.8. 24 hours after that though and it's actually stabalised. I gave it a shake and it went up to 1.95-ish … will continue to monitor.

12 Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 7:54 AM

King Ruddager:

Quick update why not After a few hours it seemed to be sloooowly dropping and was down to 1.8. 24 hours after that though and it's actually stabalised. I gave it a shake and it went up to 1.95-ish … will continue to monitor.

Can you offer up other details… e.g. temperature etc?

13 Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 10:48 AM

That's no great surprise… the pressure in the headspace will change with temperature changes and shaking the bottle will release more gas which will increase the headspace pressure as well.

When do we get to see a proper bottle of beer tested with it?

14 Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 12:06 PM

Well, I kind of wanted to be sure it was holding pressure before I did an actual test, but it seems to be so hey, I'll be bottling beer this weekend why not …

15 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 12:37 AM

Heater comes on, pressure goes up, heater goes off, pressure comes down. It varies by about 6 PSI between 10 and 25° I think.

16 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 5:26 AM

Yeah it will change. It's the gas coming in and out of solution with the varying temps. I get the same thing on my CO2 cylinder on the high pressure gauge… when it's warm it sits up above 1000 PSI, but at the moment it's on about 650-700 PSI. The low pressure gauge is unaffected by ambient temperatures for some reason.

17 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 9:14 AM

Well done with this KR. Might be a world first for bottle conditioned beer! A lot more scientific than the ‘Squeeze test’

18 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 9:57 AM

Can't claim a world first, someone over on AHB did this a few months back or maybe toward the end of last year, can't remember which. If I remember correctly, his bottles reached about 18PSI after 3 or 4 days and then stabilised there. They were glass rather than PET, though (I think ).

Edit: They were between 1.6 and 1.9 bar depending on which beers were being tested. All reached this pressure it in 3 to 4 days after bottling.

19 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 10:12 AM

Found the thread, it's here if anyone wants to read about the 3 or 4 different experiments he did.

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/bottle-conditioning-measurement.91771/

20 Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 12:04 PM

Oh wow, now I feel like I've stolen the idea. It's not exactly ground-breaking stuff though - it's an idea that people could easily come up with independently and I had my own journey to get there.