1 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:19 PM

Wondering if you would be able to check out this idea for a Dunkel weiss.
I,m using IanH spreadsheet but it doesn't have Midnight wheat or Munich dark.
My son did a Devils Brew Porter and as we had these ones, we used these grains instead of Chocolate Malt.
100grams of Midnight and 200 grams of Munich steeped in 2l of water seemed to give off a fair bit of colour but I'm not sure how it will look in a lighter coloured brew and am only guessing I would end up with a dark red brown dunkel.

Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)
Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (1.5kg)
Briess Bavarian Wheat LME (0.5kg)
Midnight Wheat cold steeped for 24 hours (0.150kg)
Munich Dark cold steeped for 24 hours (0.20kg)
Saf WB-06 yeast

Also would you put the Coopers yeast in as well?

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

2 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:58 PM

Prang:

Wondering if you would be able to check out this idea for a Dunkel weiss.
I,m using IanH spreadsheet but it doesn't have Midnight wheat or Munich dark.
My son did a Devils Brew Porter and as we had these ones, we used these grains instead of Chocolate Malt.
100grams of Midnight and 200 grams of Munich steeped in 2l of water seemed to give off a fair bit of colour but I'm not sure how it will look in a lighter coloured brew and am only guessing I would end up with a dark red brown dunkel.

Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)
Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (1.5kg)
Briess Bavarian Wheat LME (0.5kg)
Midnight Wheat cold steeped for 24 hours (0.150kg)
Munich Dark cold steeped for 24 hours (0.20kg)
Saf WB-06 yeast

Also would you put the Coopers yeast in as well?

I have done a Weiss dunkel and it turned out really well - even my German uncle commented on how authentic it was.

heres what i did - and it was easy

Thomas coopers Wheat Beer 1.7
Thomas Coopers wheat malt 1.5,
wheat yeast
Crystal Malt 310g,
Midnight malt 210g

Steeped the grains together for 24 hours in a 4Lt pot in the fridge
brought the grain up to boil and mixed into FV with the wheat beer abd wheat malt
filled with cold water to 21L
mine stayed a steady 23 degrees, but cooler is more ideal. nonetheless my brew tasted awesome!
day 8 i decanted into another FV to clear it up
10 days OG 1050 FG 1012 - about 5.6% in the bottle. what you would expect from a good german dark ale.
wasn't using hops back then… i would add some next time perhaps??

3 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:55 PM

Cheers Tonzbrew, sounds like I need to up the Midnight Wheat a bit if I go for 23l.
The colour came out good did it?

4 Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:49 PM

Prang:

Cheers Tonzbrew, sounds like I need to up the Midnight Wheat a bit if I go for 23l.
The colour came out good did it?

colour was pretty much exactly like your picture

5 Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 10:14 AM

Thanks again Tonzbrew. When a fermenter is free I'll give it a go and post a pic, if it's any good.

We've been brewing since January 13 and have already got two fermenters on the go better wait awhile before getting another one.

6 Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:40 AM

Dunkelweizen is probably my favourite style (I blame a couple of German winters camped out in the ex-pat bar in Heidelberg), so I'm hoping to come up with something nice I can enjoy during the rapidly approaching Canberra winter.

Trying this as a 10L batch (12L boil) in my lil' craft fermenter this weekend. First time steeping grains and doing a full volume boil so I'm a little nervous.

1.5 kg Wheat unhopped LME
250 g Caramunich III
100 g Melanoidin
50 g Carafa Special III
Steeping grains at ~70C for 30 mins.
14 g 4% Hallertau @ 60 mins
Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat yeast @ 18 C

Does that look OK? I've tried to stick to all-German malts. Based on the calculators it should be a nice dark copper colour with some good maltiness from the Melanoidin. Anyone found a good temperature for the MJ Bavarian Wheat yeast?

I have some Northern Brewer hops in the freezer so I was also going to buy some Medium Crystal (50-60L) for a Steam Beer/Cali Common after the Dunkelweizen is done. Would this Caramunich III (57L) be a suitable substitute taste-wise? Thinking of pairing it with the Victory malt which apparently has a nice biscuity taste which I pick up in the Anchor Steam.

Cheers!

7 Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 8:43 PM

Let me know how it turns out Smurf, I love Dunkelwiessen and have the craft fermenter myself

8 Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 9:35 AM

Hey guys, I am a bit of a newbie to brewing but I have put down a dunkelweizen that smells and looks just great. I plan on bulk priming but am getting a bit confused about the quantity of dextrose to use per litre.

I have 21 litres to bottle, It was fermented at a max temp of 22 degrees and I am looking a CO2 volume of around 3.9.

On checking out the web and the Coopers forum I am seeing people saying between 6 and 7gms/ litre but when I use one of the Priming calculators, such as Brewers Friend, I am getting a figure of 285gms for the 21 litres, which equates to 13.5gms / litre. This seems a bit high for bottling and I don't want bombs.

Am i missing something? You help would be greatly appreciated as i want to bottle today.

Last edited by NeilB1 (Friday, November 24, 2017 9:35 AM)