1 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:33 AM

I had a look at brewing a stout, but gave that away as i think its beyond me.

I love German beer and was wondering about a Pilsner. I see the kit from Coopers is a little different to the normal kits. I also read that it has to brewed at a low temp. Can somebody please give me some advice on brewing Pilsner.

2 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:05 AM

Actually I differ in that I think brewing a stout is actually easier than a lager/pilsner!

I guess you could do any number of things with this kit, but in it's most basic form you could simply pair it up with 1kg of malt extract. I believe it comes with a lager yeast so yes, fermenting cold is the usual practice. The other ‘complication’ is that when it's finally packaged e.g. bottled it then typically get's stored at fridge temp for a couple of months - i.e. ‘lagered’

As you can probably gather, brewing lagers/pilsners following conventional practices requires a certain level of patience as there's a lot of waiting involved! Of course, you don't necessarily have to be overly concerned with following these practices, you'll still likely end up with a tasty enough brew even if you fermented warmer and didn't bother with the extended cold lagering period. I brewed a Pilsner last Winter relying on ambient temperatures for both fermentation and conditioning. It averaged 13 - 15ÂșC at the time and resulted in a perfectly good beer!

3 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:13 PM

I think Blacksands is correct when he says that a stout is easier.
However you say you love German style beer, so would you really
want to brew a stout? I drink all kinds so I do both. You could be the same.

What Blacksands said about the Pilsner is right too.

4 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:31 PM

I concur, from a process standpoint brewing a stout is easier than a pilsner, but that doesn't mean pilsners are hugely difficult either. They simply require a little more attention. I brew heaps of them as Bohemian (Czech) pilsner is one of my favourite beer styles. Having a temp controlled fridge and the means to grow yeast does make life a lot easier for fermenting them though.

I think pairing it up with 1kg malt extract is a good idea for a first crack at it, maybe chuck in 200g dex/sugar if you want the ABV up a little.

Next step involves the yeast. The kit supplied yeast is nowhere near enough yeast for low temperature fermentations, even pitching warm. You will need to increase this. The simplest way is to buy more yeast. W34/70 should go alright. You will want to re-hydrate both these yeasts in about 200mL of water sitting around 30C for 20-30 minutes before pitching; this helps keep more of them viable when pitching as dry pitching into wort potentially kills up to half the cells. Simply boil some water in a Pyrex jug and allow it to cool (covered) to 30C, sprinkle in both yeast packets, let them sit for 20 minutes then gently stir into a cream and pitch into the wort.

You can pitch it warm (around 20C), and leave it there for about 12 hours before bringing it down to around 12C. Leave it there for about 6-7 days then allow the brew to rise to 18C and keep it up there for another week. At this point, you can either bottle it straight away or if you have the means, drop it to 0C and leave it for 2 weeks and then bottle. Obviously, check the FG is reached before doing either of these.

I know it sounds complicated but it's not really, although in saying that you can get away with not being as pedantic as such about the temps and times etc. Just don't skimp on the yeast.

Cheers

Kelsey

5 Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:11 PM

Bad news from the Doctor today.

I have to stop drinking alcohol full stop, my liver needs time to get better.

Any ideas for making non alcohol beers.

Last edited by gonewrong (Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:11 PM)