1 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 10:23 PM

Hi all,

New to the forum but have been lurking around for a while…

On the weekend i kegged 5 beers (19L kegs) and force carbed at 25psi my C02 bottle is a 2.6kg and was at 800psi new but has already dropped to 480psi, i was under the impression i would get at least 15 kegs out of the bottle i have covered everything in soapy water and can find no leaks any idea or could it just be the beer has absorbed almost half my C02 already??

Thanks in advance!!

2 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:05 PM

It'll be a leak somewhere, either that or the CO2 bottle wasn't properly filled, or the third option below.

The thing with the regulators is that they'll read 800PSI or whatever it is that it starts at when the bottle is full, but won't actually drop until the bottle is near empty. This has nothing to do with the regulators, it's because the gas bottle will hold at its full pressure until the CO2 level inside drops far enough that the pressure starts dropping, as I understand it that occurs when all the liquid CO2 is gone and there is only gas left inside the cylinder.

It's more likely to be a leak somewhere than a close to empty gas bottle. It could be anywhere in the system though. Check the connection between the regulator and the gas cylinder is tight enough. There should be a plastic ring on the end of the regulator connection as well.
Maybe the regulator itself is leaking, which the soapy water test won't necessarily pick up on (internal leak). Try turning off the valve on the regulator barb that your gas line is attached to, then turn on the gas bottle to get the pressure up, then turn the gas bottle off and leave it sit. See if the pressure drops over time, such as overnight. The high pressure gauge probably will since the bottle is off but the low pressure should hold at whatever it was set to if the regulator is not leaking anywhere.

A more unlikely cause would be a drop in temperature. Have you had any really cold temps where you are around that time? Mine usually sits on around 1000 PSI, when it was really hot a few weeks back it crept up near 1100 PSI but on a cold night in winter it can drop down to 800 or a bit below that. It doesn't mean the gas is leaking, it's just the pressure changing with temp.

3 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:28 PM

If he did five kegs in a row, it could also chill the bottle enough. I suspect the bottle isn't actually empty yet as 480 is still around the range of a full bottle when it's cold.

4 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:51 AM

Hi Gaffatron and welcome to the Coopers community.

Mine sits on 1000 psi at ambient temp, so if your cylinder has warmed back up to room temperature and is reading 450, then I'd be inclined to think that your cylinder may not have been 100% charged to start with.

5 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:07 AM

If it's 800 when it's full then it could be that, although it's still a hell of a drop even for the bottle being cold. If mine got down to 480 it would be on its way out, no doubt about that. I use a 6.8kg cylinder though so perhaps they run at a higher pressure than the 2.6kg ones, I don't know.

6 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:46 AM

Mine was at about 480 when I picked it up on a rather cool day, rose to about 1000 when warm, back down to about 480 in the freezer.

7 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:48 AM

thanks for the reply's fellas, I tried to reply last night but phone would let me in the site, I brought the cylinder inside last night to see if it was the cold and you were both correct in the morning it was up around 650psi couldn't believe the small change in temp made a huge difference in pressure! I am going to keep an eye on it over next week or 2 in case it wasn't filled properly…

thanks again!

8 Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:11 PM

Quokka:

Mine was at about 480 when I picked it up on a rather cool day, rose to about 1000 when warm, back down to about 480 in the freezer.

That would be the difference with mine then, it never goes inside the fridge so the coldest it ever gets is whatever the temp drops to overnight, probably why it never really drops below about 750-800PSI until it's near on empty.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:11 PM)