1 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:33 AM

I did a little searching but could not find my answer exactly.
I put down a Coopers Euro Lager yesterday arvo - i used a Morgans lager yeast and the guy at MLHBS said to keep low temps - around 15-18 degrees.

I had the Wort down to 24 when i pitched the re hydrated yeast and have the brew down to around 17 degrees overnight.
the interesting part was the Yeast packet said to rehydrate or sprinkle directly if above 20 degrees.

Why is it that there is no Krausen or visual activity after 20 hours? do i need to wait longer?

should I add another yeast?

2 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:01 AM

Patience grasshopper , Lager yeasts are quite a bit slower and will often throw a smaller krausen .
Give it another 24 hours at least
the Morgans packets are 15 g from memory , you could add the kit yeast as well seeing as its a third party lager yeast and will complement the other yeast and give you a larger pitch .
17 C is about as warm as you want to let that get , once you start seeing signs of fermentation dropping it down to 15 would result in a cleaner tasting beer

3 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:22 AM

Mark D Pirate:

Patience grasshopper , Lager yeasts are quite a bit slower and will often throw a smaller krausen .
Give it another 24 hours at least
the Morgans packets are 15 g from memory , you could add the kit yeast as well seeing as its a third party lager yeast and will complement the other yeast and give you a larger pitch .
17 C is about as warm as you want to let that get , once you start seeing signs of fermentation dropping it down to 15 would result in a cleaner tasting beer

cheers Mark… will wait on a bit then - if i need to add the kit yeast will it need to be warmed up first?

4 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:56 AM

Since you pitched on the warm side and you are at a highish temps leave the kit yeast out this time around ( pop it in freezer ) .
You do have an underpitch but you should get away with it , once your gravity gets to 1.020 - 1.015 i'd ramp your temp up to 18-20 C for a D rest and least the yeasties clean up / finish off a bit for a few days then drop to 1 C for a few days minimum before bottling .
you can add finings during this cold crash if you want a proper brilliant clear lager or just rely on the long lagering period to drop everything out .( polyclar works very well )
leave bottles to carb up for a few weeks minimum at 18 + C then into cold storage for as long as you can resist drinking them .

Good luck !

5 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 11:17 AM

I brew my Euro lager between christmas and new year and it didn't produce much in the foam during fermentation. It would seem from what I have been told that the yeast in the euro lager kit is a true lager yeast in that it is bottom fermenting.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can see bubbles within the wort and some condensation has appeared in the inside of the fv.

However I am new to this so please correct me if I am wrong.

6 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:30 PM

I think this whole top/bottom fermenting thing is a little bit misleading since the yeast are in suspension all through the beer during this period and obviously are fermenting all through it as well.

However, you generally find that lager yeasts don't throw huge krausens like ale yeasts can. I do wonder if this is largely due to the lower temperatures they're generally fermented at though.

7 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:45 PM

When I was young ( a long, long time ago,) ale yeasts really did tend to form a “yeast cake” on top of the brew, while lager yeasts in my limited experience tended to sit on the bottom with no Krausen to speak of.

I find that while modern ale yeast tend to produce a Krausen that disappears often within a few days, lager yeasts take longer and produce less, but not as pronounced as “the good old days.” Modern yeast varieties do produce a far superior beer if kept in a fermenter than those days, so if it is fermenting I wouldn't worry so much.

Last edited by Quokka (Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:45 PM)