1 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 6:31 PM

Hey guys and gals, I have just been giving my first diy kit for my 30th so as you could expect I'm real new to this home brewing caper, in saying that I'm enjoying every minute (long time stalker first time poster) I've currently brewed and bottled the factory larger the kit came with but now I'd love to try brewing a pale ale, has anyone a good recipe I can take to my LHBS to sort me out? Cheers in advance Greg

2 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:52 PM

Hey Greg

Welcome to the forum. Is your LHBS in Hobart or Lonnie?

I'm in the south and find THBS in Liverpool Street to be excellent. You can do a good beginners Pale Ale by shopping at Big W and using the Pale Ale can and 1/2 or a kilo of Light Dry Malt (LDM).

LHBS usually have LDM as well as a wide range of speciality grains, hops, yeast and base grains. The Australian Pale Ale can can be made into the American version very easily with hops and freshened up with some crystal malts. Depends on what type of Pale Ale you're looking for.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

3 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:58 PM

Cheers for the quick reply Scottie I'm in Beaconsfield so Lonnie, but Hobart is not out of the question either as my bro travels down twice a week for business. Mostly like to sink 150 lashes coopers pale or fat yak from Matilda bay so if I could get close to either of them I'd be great full. Bit nervous to get into hops and dry v steeping. But eventually I'd like to keg cheers Greg

4 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:19 PM

Hey Greg

It's pretty easy really, just like following a recipe. As for getting near a Fat Yak, a Steep would be best but you could also Dry Hop.

My recommendation would be to start easy, get your hands on some Cascade and some Nelson Sauvin hops. I would bring two litres of water to the boil, technically you should add some malt but for a small short boil it isn't necessary. Throw in 25g of Cascade and boil for 3 minutes, take the pot off the heat and add 25g of Nelson, let it steep for 30 minutes. Put one kilo of LDM in your fermenter, strain the 2 litres of hop tea on top of the malt and swirl it around. Add the can and top as normal, it won't be a Fat Yak but I reckon you'll love it.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

5 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:46 PM

Stick to kits for your first few brews. Honest getting the method down pat is where you want to be. Then you can think about the fermentables your using and possible additions of hops. Treat a brew day like a surgeon prepairs his day clean and sanitised.

6 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:03 PM

Awesome cheers guys be just got on to a temp controller and fridge to brew in so I'm willing to try more, I feel patience isn't something you get from your LHBS so I may work on that first haha, so hops are normally readily available?

7 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:19 PM

Temperature control is your best friend. Nice to see even at this early stage your taking this seriously. Still say stick to the various kits with no mods for a few brews. Then work out where you want to be. This is the start of your journey make it as smooth as possible then branch out a little with tweaks to recipes

8 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:35 PM

haha there needs to be a “like button” cheers titan

9 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 8:13 AM

I threw hops at my 5th brew using the method I described above. Prior to that I did the OS Lager, the Pale Ale, the Canadian Blonde all with BE1, and the OS Draught with LME. The fourth was the Cooper Heritage Lager, with 1.5kg of Light Malt Extract (LME) and 250g of dextrose - kit yeast fermented at 18 - 20 degrees. I boiled 25g of Cascade and Dry hopped the brew with 25g of Nelson Sauvin, in a hop bag, on day 5. I bottled the brew on day 12.

Remember tasting on Xmas day 2011 with my son and son in law, it was awesome and blew the socks of the previous 4 beers that I thought were the best things since beer was invented. In retrospect I should have went there on brew two, brew one if I'd had some advice and guidance.

I agree with Titan about the process, however a hop tea or a dry hop is no great deviation from the process, just treat the hop tea as you would your first water addition atop the malt. I didn't know what craft beers I liked as I was basically a Premium Lager drinker, given you know I see no need to wait as far as hops go. The two hops I mentioned are used in Fat Yak.

BTW I waited until brew 7 before adding steeped grains.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

10 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 11:10 AM

Thanks Scottie I guess I'd best make a list for my shop tomorrow then, the forum has been a great help cheers Greg

11 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:25 PM

Scottie:

Hey Greg

It's pretty easy really, just like following a recipe. As for getting near a Fat Yak, a Steep would be best but you could also Dry Hop.

My recommendation would be to start easy, get your hands on some Cascade and some Nelson Sauvin hops. I would bring two litres of water to the boil, technically you should add some malt but for a small short boil it isn't necessary. Throw in 25g of Cascade and boil for 3 minutes, take the pot off the heat and add 25g of Nelson, let it steep for 30 minutes. Put one kilo of LDM in your fermenter, strain the 2 litres of hop tea on top of the malt and swirl it around. Add the can and top as normal, it won't be a Fat Yak but I reckon you'll love it.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Thanks Scottie.

I might have a go at this. I picked up a couple of APA's last week.
I have the Nelson, but not Cascade. I could probably get that tomorrow.

I have 250 grams of Carapils to use up. Nothing wrong with steeping that
and then adding the hops to the boil is there?

What yeast? As I've bought two tins I was going to use two kit yeasts.
Or I have some US 05.

cheers

Pete

12 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:15 PM

Bushwackerbeers:

Awesome cheers guys be just got on to a temp controller and fridge to brew in so I'm willing to try more, I feel patience isn't something you get from your LHBS so I may work on that first haha, so hops are normally readily available?

I asked my apprentice one day to buy me a big box of patience when i sent him to my industrial supplier(he was pissing me off that day). He looked at me funny. Still not sure if he ever asked for it but i sure as hell never recieved it.

13 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:18 PM

Graculus:

Scottie:

Hey Greg

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Thanks Scottie.

Or I have some US 05.

cheers

Pete

You are right on the money there pete. Just get in the habit of rehydrating your yeast. Theres plenty of threads on here to guide you in thAt

14 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 7:18 PM

Graculus:

Thanks Scottie.

Or I have some US 05.

cheers

Pete

Hey Pete

Add the hops to boiling Carapils wort, no probs.

Personally I would use the US05, I am not a big fan of the hybrid yeast that comes with the Pale Ale although I've never tried two packets.

Cheers & Beers
Scottie
Valley Brew

Last edited by Scottie (Monday, March 20, 2017 7:18 PM)