1 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:25 AM

So I took the plunge recently and have ventured into Kegs. Got it setup last Thursday with all the beer lines and gas lines and as suggested by many decided to do a gas line test. Cranked it up to 20 psi on the regulator and turned off the bottle. This was at about 6pm. Went to bed at 11am and it was still sitting on 20psi so it seemed all good. Gets up to go to work at 6am and its on 0 psi. All the gas is out of the lines WTF!! Must be a leak somewhere. Got home yesterday and cranked it up to 20 again. Shut off the bottle and put soapy water over all the joins. No bubbles. Stayed at 20 psi till midnight and went to bed again. 8am this morning. 0 psi again. All the joins are rock solid so am at a loss. Any ideas?? I figure if it is a slow leak it would go down slowly not seemingly all at once.

2 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 12:47 PM

Try cranking up to around 50 psi and then doing your leak test. Don't forget to test your keg seals and also the join back on the regulator.

3 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 3 PM

Do you back off the regulator as well?
When I tested my system it acted exactly the same. But when I left the regulator on, with gas bottle turned off the system held pressure.

4 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:43 PM

Like Morrie says, check the connections in and out of the regulator as well as the connections along your lines.
2nd hand kegs ? Make sure all the seals on those are sound as well.

5 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:31 PM

Dont even look to connect the kegs at this stage. Lines should hold on thier own. Check all gages relief valves etc.

6 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:27 PM

Mine does that too, but the gas bottles last about a year before they run out, which is normal, so there can't be a leak anywhere in the system. If there was, the bottle would be lucky to last a week.

I have a manifold for my gas lines that did have a leak in it initially and I lost half a bottle of gas in a couple of days, but that was found and fixed and I also made sure none of the other connections on it could leak either and it's been fine since. The second gas bottle lasted about 11 months before I swapped it for the current one, which has been in ‘service’ since November last year. High pressure gauge still reading full pressure and the bottle is rarely turned off. I turn off the manifold valves when lines aren't in use.

I might turn off all the valves on the manifold tonight, and turn off the CO2 cylinder as well, and see what it's reading in the morning.

7 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 1:15 PM

Been reading up a bit on Kegging as I am probably gonna get one next month (Keg King Mk 4).
Seems like its not so easy when you first start, but I suppose that's like anything.
Sorry to butt in on another thread but I was wondering:
How much time does kegging save when putting the beer into the kegs as opposed to bottling?
When I bottle the 2 Coopers FVs the process from start to finish is about 3.5 hours.
I was hoping that kegging would shave a fair amount off of that..

Cheers

James

8 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 1:19 PM

I'd suggest that would probably take about an hour all up including the pre-sanitising of the kegs and the cleaning of the FVs afterwards.

When I brew 21L batches and only fill a 19L keg it takes about half an hour or so. I fill the keg slowly to minimise splashing and disturbance of trub in the FV. The biggest time saving is not having to wash all the bloody bottles.

9 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 2:11 PM

Awesome!!
Can't wait to get started now.

Kegging ahoy!

Cheers

James

10 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 6:37 PM

You will never look back. Best decision i made. Still have the bottles however but only to transfer excess of 23l batch. I used to take 19l from fv to keg then get 4 long necks out at the end. Have since switched it around and take the 4 long necks first.

11 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 7:34 PM

I have bottles still for some batches, usually pilsners and also take the excess first so it can have all the trub and shit from the tap and surrounds while the keg gets the ‘cleaner’ beer. I got tired of even doing that on every batch though so now I have a 10L keg and I use it to blend 4-5 litres of two ale batches together to create a third mini batch. I've only done this once so far with two single hopped pale ales and it worked really well, but this time around is an English ale and an APA so that will be interesting

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Monday, March 20, 2017 7:34 PM)