1 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:50 AM

Just been given the green light to get the Keg King kegerator.
This is what is displayed at my LHBS every time I go in there.
Anybody know if they are any good?
Just started reading up on the net about them.
Any experience / advice appreciated.

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:12 AM

James Lao:

Just been given the green light to get the Keg King kegerator.
This is what is displayed at my LHBS every time I go in there.
Anybody know if they are any good?
Just started reading up on the net about them.
Any experience / advice appreciated.

Cheers

James

Recently got one and hooked it all up Thursday night. The series 4 dual tap one. Was quite easy to assemble and the reviews I read seem OK. Previous reviews seem to go on about the lack of font fan and cheap taps but the new series has them inbuilt and intertaps which I read reviews on and it seems good. Only issue I am having is with the gas which I am going to start another thread on.

3 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:35 PM

Bought myself one for Christmas and have found the fridge/font/taps to be great.
Not so good has been the beer and gas line that were included - have since had to replace them all with better quality stuff because of regular splits/failures. Also, the regulator that KegKing includes is ordinary at best.
So, I would say go for it without hesitation, just spend an extra 10 bucks on good quality lines and fit them when you put it together to avoid pain down the track.

4 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:01 PM

Great unit. But i agree with previous post with regard to lines. They seem to provide a smaller gas line than the beer line. Really hard to get on the barb. Make sure you test the gas lines or you will blow a co2 bottle in no time.

5 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:04 AM

I bought a Mk3 about 2 years ago and love it. I have one of the keg king regulators as well as a micromatic and find both work ok with the micromatic a better build quality. I use an Andale double font with their stainless taps as the ones supplied are plastic shite. It has performed flawless for me so far.

Cheers

Greg

6 Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:10 PM

I've got one of the MK3 ones as well, bought it about a year and a half ago. It has been fantastic. I originally had the “normal” type font with a font fan but soon discarded this in favour of a cobra flooded font, which I pump chilled water from a reservoir (cut open milk bottle) that sits on the shelf at the back of the fridge. This font has two advantages, it's thicker metal and I get less foaming on initial pours, and all the taps are at the same height and spaced wider. I do use fancy tap handles though, if you're just using the normal black plastic ones then spacing is less of an issue.

I didn't buy mine as a complete set up though, I bought the fridge by itself and then all the other bits and pieces separately. I went straight for high quality lines, a decent regulator (Micromatic), better taps, large 6.8kg CO2 cylinder etc. It cost me near on 2 grand but I suspect I won't need to be replacing any of it any time soon other than beer lines but they're the cheapest part of it anyway.

One thing I'd suggest is to make sure the temperature inside it is the same as what it reads on the display on the front. Some of them are apparently out by a bit, which reminds me I should measure mine while it's largely empty. It's set to -2 but water never freezes in it.

7 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 10:31 PM

I acquired a Series 4 for Xmas.
Like Otto I've got better taps Perlick 650SS.
I got the green light from the missus to get “good stuff” and not skimp! Hence the perlicks
I've also got a 6.8kg gas bottle.
I originally went with pushin MFL's (for convenience and cleaning) and had slow leaks on the gas lines.
After about a week of mucking around (and frustration) decided to trial a piece of spare line I had lying around…and Boom! No leaks!
I diagnosed the drama to be the line that came with the Kegerator. However, I haven't had any dramas with splitting lines, the only noticeable difference was that the line that came with the Kegerator was harder than the line I had lying around.
Spoke to the supplier they were happy to swap the MFL pushins but I went with barbed MFLs, which they didn't carry - gave me a refund and I sourced barbed MFLs from another store.

I haven't looked back, no leaks - which is great because I'd hate to loose a 6.8kg gas bottle.

Pours like a dream, I set mine to 4 or 5 degrees.

(after Otto's comment I might check my temp manually…)

I've got a triple font and run 3 kegs, which makes the interior glass holder redundant as you can't fit 3x kegs inside without removing the glass holder, but no biggy, I just stack my glasses in the bottom of the fridge.

I'd agree with a few other posters and say go for it!
I used to use a pluto gun with a couple of 19L kegs sitting in our second fridge, which took up all the space, which is why the missus probably gave me the green light to purchase…there's a plan for any new players haha!!

Enjoy…“as there's always time for a cheeky one”.

My set up:
- Kegerator Series 4 (Font fan inc.)
- Triple Font - Perlicks 650SS
- 6.8Kg Gas Bottle
- Pushin One way valve on regulator (this is hooked up on the better line, not the line supplied)
- Keg King Regulator (which I am about to replace with a dual CO2PO Regulator that I've just imported from the USA, couldn't buy direct so I used some initiative to get a hold of one)
- Barbed MFL's

8 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:18 PM

I've got the Perlick 650SS as well, with flow control. They've been terrific. The line I bought was Valpar Flexmaster II. I'll probably replace the beer lines early next year as they'll have been going for about 2.5 years by then. I'm still using the push in fittings but I have genuine John Guest ones which are better quality than the Keg King brand ones. Haven't had any leaks from them yet.

The only gas leak I have had was in my manifold, and I did lose most of the gas bottle in a couple of days as a result. Turned out one of the valves on it was leaking a bit, so out it came and silicone was applied to the thread and back in it went. The same treatment was applied to the other 3 valves along with the threaded fittings on each end of it. I haven't had a leak since; the replacement cylinder lasted around 11 months which is about normal considering I use it for pushing cleaner/rinse water around the lines and taps as well as carbonating and dispensing beers. Plus when a beer tap is missing a keg, I have a keg of soda water in its place. I put full beer kegs in 3 at a time rather than replacing one when it's empty, saves faffing about moving kegs to get to the one at the back, which I always make sure is emptied after the two at the front are.

Cheers

Kelsey

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Monday, March 20, 2017 11:18 PM)