1 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:52 AM

hey guys so im looking at putting this down today, but just want some input

APA can
1.5kg LDM
250g dextrose
kit yeast (i do have a 2nd kit yeast left over from the last brew)

Galaxy
Galaxy 10g @ 20m
Galaxy 15g @ 10m

dry hop 25g (only have around 50g at home)

What do we think?

I want a good galaxy flavor right through the beer, nice and refreshing with a proof around 4.5% I tried putting it into the IanH spreadsheet, but i cant work it properly.

Any info would be great.

2 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:30 AM

Can drop the dex but otherwise looks OK assuming you mean 10 mins not 100 mins .
That will add a little extra bitterness , flavour and aroma
You'll surely want the extra yeast in there to avoid yeast stress and off flavours

3 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:58 AM

so that would then be

APA can
1.5 LDM

2 x kit yeast
Galaxy
Galaxy 10g @ 20m
Galaxy 15g @ 10m

dry hop 25g

do the kit yeasts re-hydrate the same way as others? Or dry pitching ok?

4 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:11 AM

Depends what you mean by okay. If you dry pitch you potentially kill 50% of the cells, so you are back to 7gm, which in the case of the APA kit is half lager yeast and half ale yeast.

IMHO it is good to get into the habit of rehydrating. Give it a try.

Yes, rehydrate as other yeasts. I typically use 28C for the blended yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

5 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:30 AM

thanks christina…i did rehydrate for the last yeast i used…that was a windsor.

6 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:16 AM

Looks a nice brew. Can't go wrong with Galaxy IMO. I use it a lot in anything from PA's IPA's and Saisons too. Only thing I don't use it for is bittering even though some say its ok. Did once and it seemed a funny bittering taste so havent tried again. So I only use it from 30 mins down.

7 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:24 AM

Mate I'd be doing a much shorter boil with those hop additions. Like 5min and flameout. Keep dry hop as is.

I like galaxy to shine so it's all about those late additions.

How much bitterness u aiming for? In going to do my galaxy pale this weekend too

8 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:26 AM

not a heap of bitterness, so i might not boil for too long then. Just want a good hit of flavor.

Im trying this recipe as its using up stuff i have and not wanting to spend too much, while i still have a heap of beer sitting in the shed lol

9 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 12:41 PM

If it was me then I would go for a straight 50g Galaxy dry hop. You wouldn't be disappointed.

10 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:06 PM

well its in the fridge (hopefully cooling down)

decided on 10g @5mins and 10g@ flameout
that leaves me 30g to dry hop. Im thinking about commando style this time!

As a side note, im currently drinking a “bridge road chevalier saison”…not a huge fan…bit too tart for me…needs a bit more maltiness(for me anyway) i think

11 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:25 PM

Hey RepSec, mine is on the boil now.

My first ever full-volume boil using extract. I cracked out my all-grain pot for this one!

1.5kg Briess Pale Ale LME
0.75kg Briess Golden Light DME
0.75kg wheat DME

8.5g Galaxy @ 40min
12.5g Galaxy @15min
12.5g Galaxy @ 5min
15g Galaxy @ 0min
25g Galaxy dry hop

20min whirlpool

No-chill into 25L cube. Aiming for about 23L in fermenter

I built up a US-05 1.5L starter today. Will let it build up cells then pitch in a couple of days

EDIT: Daughter woke up, had to quickly submit post. All is still now.

This is a low IBU brew, inspired by Stone & Wood Pacific Ale. IBUs given the above hop schedule are around the 21 IBU mark.

Target OG = 1.045
Predicted FG = 1.011. I doubt mine will get this low, but may be surprised since I am using only one can LME and more than half of the fermentables are DME.

I didn't get as much into the cube as I thought. Must've lost a bit to evaporation with this big pot I'm using. My OG sample is in the fridge cooling to 20C, I'll post later tonight. Hopefully doesn't push my OG up too high.

12 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:46 PM

Learnt a valuable lesson tonight. The boil off rate for my big pot is pretty high. My OG for this beer is 1.051! Oops. Bitterness from the hydrometer sample is noticeable, so I think it should be able to balance out the malt.

Very keen to get this one into the fridge once my yeast starter is ready. First brew using Campden tablets, first extract brew doing full-volume boil and no-chill. I paid particular attention to sanitisation and yeast counts so everything is pointing in the right direction for a very tasty drop.

13 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 9:49 AM

so i had a squiz at the brew last night and its foaming up nicely. However the same thing has happened to this brew as the last.

There is a brownish stain/colour to the top of the foam on the rear 1/5th of the brew. Im thinking it must be something to do with been close to the cooling part of the fridge? Il try get a photo tonight of it.

Any ideas?

14 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:23 AM

Normal and relax.

15 Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:18 PM

Sure, take a photo RepSec but it is entirely normal and nothing to worry about.

Last edited by joolbag (Monday, March 20, 2017 12:18 PM)