1 Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:30 PM

I keep track of batches by numbering them. The first batch was number 1, and last week I bottled number 94. I draw Roman numerals on the lids for fun, and so far it's been a good system. Easy peasy.

So, Friday I brewed a batch and again on Saturday I made another. The thing is, though, that I've decided to split Friday's batch and dry-hop one half only, so that mean's that Saturday's batch will be the first to be bottled.

The quandary: which batch is which?

All I know is that one of them is #95 (XCV) and the other is #96 (XCVI) … what would you do?

In fact, this is a topic almost worth dedicating a video to!

2 Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 11:31 PM

Oh, and bottling one batch this side of the International Date Line and then quickly jumping across to the other won't work because the dry hops need at least a few days to work their magic

3 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:56 AM

For a split batch I'd call them 95a and 95b, as it is the same wort.

4 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:05 AM

What Christina said. I've got a similar situation going on with my porter batch in my brewing records spreadsheet. It's in number 31 (or whatever it is) in the list, already in the keg but it won't be tapped until June or July so there will be a number of batches brewed in the meantime. Normally I have each block of 3 batches color coded in a different color scheme for each block, so for this one I've just made the single line a different scheme, which will match with whatever the other two batches are that go on tap with it when the time comes.

Point being, the one you chucked into the fermenter first is 95 and the one that went in second is 96. It doesn't matter what order they're bottled in, it's what order they're brewed in. At least that's how I do mine.

5 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:14 AM

On bottling day i stack all my bottles back into milk crates and leave a print out of my brewday run sheet on top , at a glance i can see what it is and when it was brewed /bottled
when i have different beers on hand and in the fridge i just use a cheap label with a single letter like A for APA or P for Pils and even after a few beers i can reliably tell what im pouring before i open a bottle

6 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:27 AM

ChristinaS1:

For a split batch I'd call them 95a and 95b, as it is the same wort.

I've split batches before - that's not the issue.

I currently have two full batches fermenting; a smash and a pale. The pale was brewed first but will be split, so the smash will need to be bottled first to accommodate this. It will be last in and first out.

Apologies if that was not quite clear.

7 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:49 PM

I'd go by when they were born and not when they were conceived

8 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:50 PM

9 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:31 PM

DavidB44:

I'd go by when they were born and not when they were conceived

+1

I document all of my brews too.

Their batch number is based on when they are bottled, not when they are brewed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:50 PM

Have you ever had any come out backwards in this manner?

11 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:09 PM

King Ruddager:

Have you ever had any come out backwards in this manner?

Only when you start throwing lager brews into ale brewing schedules.

No-chillers create added quandaries of their own in this area due to some bizarre want for storing unfermented wort.

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:18 PM

I've given up counting batch numbers since ive been kegging.
I just brew em and n drink em.
When it runs out I brew another.

13 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 7:39 PM

Great topic Ruddy! I go by brew date. I write down every one in my book, each gets a page. Confusing if brew 19 is on page 20 and vice versa!

14 Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:57 PM

Probably not the greatest analogy… I'd be very surprised if a couple conceived two babies at different times and the one that was conceived second was born first.. (excluding multiple partners of course ). Whichever way you decide to go in regards to numbering the batches, keep it the same forever.

No-chilling doesn't throw any issues into the mix if everything is done in order. I still don't see your apparent issue with the process Lusty and while I realise you're only having a dig, it's a lot more convenient to store wort and ferment it at leisure than have to wait for a fermenter to be available before you can do a brew day. It wouldn't work very well for me to keg a batch on a Monday and then have to wait 5 days to get the next batch fermenting. With no-chilling I can put the next one on straight away if I need to. Plus you're not wasting a heap of water either.

I plan ahead at least style wise, generally in each block of three will be a pilsner, a red ale/ESB and an APA. The batches are brewed in the same order they are fermented in: Pils first, red/ESB second and APA last. Since I only have one FV they're obviously kegged in that order too. If you run that kind of brewing/fermenting schedule then no-chilling won't cause any problems with batch numbering. This would not change if I was actively chilling the wort either.

One off batches like my annual dark beer are done in between these blocks of three but they are still packaged before the next pilsner is fermented. Everything is in order, the only thing that changes is down the track when the dark beer is ready to be tapped I only have to brew two other batches to go with it in the kegerator.

Cheers

Kelsey

15 Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 3:02 PM

Only one fermenter? How do you live??

Anyway, I had another horrible as well - is this truly a quandary or is it actually a conundrum? Well, it turns out it really is a quandary, so at least I got that part right.

16 Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 8:53 PM

I don't drink much through the week, usually only one glass a night. I can't have any more because of my work, but I don't really feel like any more anyway. Up until recently I also did a lot of weekend drinking out at pubs rather than at home, so I could easily keep up with demand with one FV.

I get 3 and a half kegs* from each 3 batches, and generally because I don't leave the beer in the fermenter for 400 years before kegging it, I can have the next 3 and a half kegs filled before the last of the previous 3 runs dry . The only time it becomes a problem is over Xmas and new years because the consumption rate invariably goes up. Otherwise, I generally don't run out… 67 litres of beer is a fair amount over 10 weeks that it takes to get the next 3 filled, it works out (with wastage) to about 167 glasses.

*The half keg is a 10L keg that I blend 4-5 litres each from two ale batches in to sort of make a third mini batch from two existing ones. It also saves bottling the excess.

17 Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:02 PM

KR, what did you do with the cider experiment? Were they 5 separate brews? Did you bottle those all on the same day?

18 Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 12:29 AM

Tasting Day VII - Cider

So yeah, pretty much ready to make a batch whenever I can fit it in. Will be 80% apple juice, 20% water and sweetened with Splenda. I can't remember exactly how many g/L but a bit less than I had in those ones.

19 Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:36 PM

Well I rebranded it as a conundrum and created a new video

Last edited by King Ruddager (Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:36 PM)