1 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:45 AM

My coopers real ale was bottle last Friday, been left in airing cupboard which has about a minimum of 17c and can go up to about 24c.. firstly hope that s wont affect the last stage of fermentation?

Also is it worth trying a bottle to see how it's going or not?

It's gone nice and clear and bottles have gone really firm to press..

Thanks Gary

2 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:58 AM

gaz1969uk:

Absolutely! I normally try my brews every week after bottling to see how they develop over time.

Normally at one week the carbonation will be weak, the head disappears in seconds, it will be a touch sweet with little malt character, a bit funky with yeast/fruit, and the bitterness can be harsh. But you will definitely get a sense whether the beer is OK vs a disaster.

At two weeks carbonation is improved, the sweetness is gone, malt character starts presenting, the yeasty/fruity funk decreases, and you the hop bitterness/flavour/aroma blend together a lot better.

Three-four weeks is normally that magical point where everything clicks, and the flavours properly meld together as a unique beer.

3 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:20 AM

After a week, you generally find the carbonation is there but the bubbles are big because the CO2 isn't well dissolved into the liquid, which I think has a lot to do with why you don't get a stable head forming.

Also the components of the beer flavour profile are not coming together as Beefy said so it will taste a bit harsh and all over the place. Some people (myself included) call this “green beer”

All you will determine after a week is whether the beer is off or not. It probably Isn't so if I were you, I'd wait another week before tasting.

4 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:56 AM

It's not a bad idea to try after a week, if anything it reinforces that you should have just waited.
Haha!

5 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:43 PM

gaz1969uk:

My coopers real ale was bottle last Friday, been left in airing cupboard which has about a minimum of 17c and can go up to about 24c.. firstly hope that s wont affect the last stage of fermentation?

It's gone nice and clear and bottles have gone really firm to press..

Thanks Gary

I wait three weeks to sample I find this a pretty good time to get an idea of how most of beers will turn out, but it's completely up to you mate.

6 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 2 PM

The last beer that went into bottles was fully carbonated in 4 days at ~18C after spending the first two days in the bottle at 0 degrees in a fridge, though it was a lager yeast. Go figure

I did leave it a bit longer after that before drinking it properly, but I was quite impressed with the speed of the carbonation.

7 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:15 PM

Sounds like more convincing evidence for the cold starter/trehalose argument.

8 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:50 PM

Definitely try one after a week, provided the bottle has firmed up to indicate carbonation. But certainly my experience tells me that from that point on, your beer will get better. Leave it four weeks, and you are starting to see the real results of your labour.

But must relate a story. My second missus (never married) really liked her booze. Now that is something for me to say - BOOZE. I'll drink with the best of them, but this girl, well, alcoholic would be the best description.

I was brewing back then, in the old days of homebrewing, and I would no sooner have it in the bottle than she would want to open and drink it. Gotta tell you, it tasted like shit. But she got drunk and then all the crap started.

Look, beer needs to be crafted to get the best out of it. You have just gone to all the trouble of brewing your beer, added hops and done all sorts of magical things. Now having gone to all that trouble, just be patient for a couple of weeks at least, and let your beer mature properly. Yep, sure thing have a taste and learn how your beer progresses over time.

It takes a bit of time to make the brews so as to get your stock up. But once you have done that, and worked out how many bottles you need per week, then there is no rush to open and drink green beer. Just be patient.

Cheers
Bill

9 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:17 PM

If it wasn't for the age difference I'd almost think you were talking about the woman I was seeing at the end of 2015. Alcoholic might be somewhat of an understatement for her…

10 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:32 PM

I think one souse is enough in a relationship.

I'm happy to be the souse for my spouse, she's a lightweight, my previous ex had a little bit of a problem, not so much the amount, or the frequency, just the way she handled it.

She had enough problems when she was sober.

Good times…….

11 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:09 PM

Well Mr. Name, you're right, but some of us, well we just succumb to a woman's charms .

Trouble is that after that initial glory….. well who knows

Kelsey, forget ages mate, the word alcoholic was a polite statement. Add to that, stay sharp knives, steel from chairs, yeah, blah blah. I know only too well what it is about.

Anyway, cheers mates, have anothet beer.

Cheers
Bill

12 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:13 PM

Yes, well, I was in that relationship for 3 years, had a few punches, kicks, and inanimate objects thrown at me in that time.

Something about her made me keep going back for more.

Anyway, be patient and wait for your beer to condition, you will never regret that.

There, back on topic.

13 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9 PM

You probably have 30 long necks from the batch. You can afford to sacrifice and taste one. It is also a good way to learn how beer progresses as it ages.

I always had a sneaky one at the one week mark. They were never particularly good at that stage but it was worth a go.

14 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:20 PM

Thanks Hairy, we are now really back on topic

15 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:49 PM

Mine wasn't the violent, aggro type, she just went completely stupid and out of control on it. Her problem was that if there was alcohol in the house, it had to be consumed. It's a good thing we broke up about a year ago, because there's no way in the world I would have been able to keep the brewing up with the demand if we'd ever lived together

16 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:42 PM

I always have plenty of stock because I'm the only one that drinks beer in my house but that might change when my son gets older

17 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 2:56 PM

Highly likely.

My stock was always adequate until a Christmas visit from my son-in-law. Now I'm back to trying to build up my stock to avoid green beer.

18 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:17 PM

At least you know you make a decent drop!

19 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:33 PM

You should be glad you passed that learning curve reasonably early Kelsey, I would have been about 35 when I jumped on that roller coaster.

Man, poor Gary, “when will my beer be ready”, and we start talking about failed relationships.

Hahahaha!

I'm pissing myself.

He must be like “WTF is this place?”

Last edited by ImaginativeName (Friday, January 13, 2017 4:33 PM)