1 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:41 PM

So this is my first attempt at saison (Coopers saison), brewed or tasted. Everything smells like everything I have read and heard (banana, tropical fruit, spice). Hard to define the taste (or I find it hard) everything appears to be there, quite sharp, I don’t think cidery (it is only 5 days in the FV). I neglected to note the OG but gravity is at 1.07 now and appears to have stopped.

The krausen is not familiar to me, is this an infection?

Hopefully that pic works but just in case the muck is brown with creamy veins through it. Might be normal for saison but as I say I have not brewed it before

Alex
**admin assist**

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

2 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:47 AM

Every ferment runs differently and every krausen looks different .
If it was infected then you'd know it because you'd gag lifting the lid .
leave it alone a while longer with the lid on , i have a saison brewing now that i haven't even looked at for over a week
Also hope your gravity is at 1.007

3 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:11 AM

Pictures a bit small for me but looks reasonably normal.

4 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:57 AM

Thanks muchly for the replies, Gagging will now be the benchmark

Yes quite right there is a 0 missing from that gravity

Alex

5 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:48 AM

Hi Lix & welcome to the forum.

As Ben said, the picture is a little far away from the krausen to see clearly. Some noticeably white patches that could simply be yeast, but could also be lactobacillus.

Ben10 likes lactobacillus (for use in making sour beers) that's why his comment appears a little flippant & not caring either way.

I'm just kidding.

A closer picture of the krausen might help a little for a more accurate identification.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:07 PM

THanks Lusty, will get a close up after work tonght

Alex

7 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:57 PM

Looking at it a bit closer this evening it seems as tho I was just in a panic

still smells great/interesting

Alex
**admin assist**

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

8 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:18 PM

On closer inspection from your newly posted pic, there doesn't appear to be any pellicle-like growth so I'd suggest it is just yeast & quite normal.

Moving forward & as a rule, try not to open the lid on the fermenter during primary fermentation as it increases the chance of inviting outside infections into the beer. Trust in the processes set down that you are following & use your tap to draw off samples for gauging specific gravity & whether the brew has finished fermenting & ready for bottling or not.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

9 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:05 AM

Doh

thanks Lusty

10 Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 9:01 PM

After my panic about infections I am now drinking a very nice saison. I admit I had my doubts when I tasted some a week or so ago – it was ok, quite funky. But now that it is 3 + weeks in the bottle I have to say WOW. Will definitely be happy to brew this again. This weekend perhaps

Alex

Last edited by Lix (Wednesday, February 08, 2017 9:01 PM)