1 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:48 PM

Dealing with some used PET bottles I bought cheap.

I've had a bleach solution sitting in them for a little while now, more than a week I think, and I noticed a bottle still has crust in the bottom.

I've had to deal with other bottles that had the the same issue, they all came out pretty good.

Would sodium percarbonate be any more effective at removing this?

I'm not keen on using a bottle brush, I think it's too much work, and it will likely scratch the plastic.

2 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:42 PM

Try the percarbonate and see what happens. It should remove it but it depends on how caked on it is I guess.

3 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:56 PM

I'm actually kinda surprised, I would have thought that water alone would eventually lift it off just from rehydration.

4 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:08 PM

The sodium percarbonate might work. If it doesn't I'd try Powdered Brewery Wash by Five Star Chemical (makers of StarSan). That stuff seems to remove the toughest crud. It's expensive though, so I only use it when the generic version of Napisan that I have doesn't quite get the job done.

Cheers,

Christina.

5 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:42 PM

Just been doing some reading, came across this in a thread in some other forum:

“You can either rinse your napi-san or not rinse it. The choice is yours. Your beer will be ok if you dont. I dont rinse after napi-san because I dont see the point.”

Each to their own, but I'd be rinsing, and I'd be rinsing well.

6 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:44 PM

Oh yes, I rinse, and I rinse PBW too.

7 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:48 PM

Only thing I won't rinse is starsan.

8 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:49 PM

I'd be rinsing Napisan for sure. I posted in another thread about all the additives in it, I'll see if I can find the post.

I guess old mate in the other thread hasn't read the MSDS for any of the Napisan products, otherwise I suspect he'd be rinsing it off. They may be harmless to us in the amounts that'd be let in a fermenter or whatever, but who knows what they're doing to the beer itself. I listed a few of them in post 6 on this here page.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:49 PM)