1 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:50 PM

Victorian Beer Label Collectors Society: http://www.vblcs.com/labelsold.php
(not just from Victoria)

I didn't recognise any, but interesting to see there were quite a few beers labelled Pale Ale and India Pale Ale, back in the day.

2 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:56 PM

It's a pity it was all ruined by mass takeovers of everything.
Looks like it was akin to the US craft scene back then.

Stupid government excise has stopped a lot of smaller guys getting going now too.

3 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:04 PM

The Tooth's Pale Ale label is the same as the tap decal that CUB is using now. Lusty had a thread on it previously:

CUB Relaunches Tooth's Pale Ale

I tried it a little while ago. It was drinkable in a way that Carlton Draught is drinkable.

4 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:18 AM

Looks like stout and porter were popular back in the day too. It is a shame these have disappeared due to corporate takeovers, but at least we don't have to put up with the same old swill with all these craft breweries around these days I guess..

5 Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:13 PM

Dont know about other states but most of the Victorian labels like Fosters, Abbots etc were all independent breweries until they amalgamated and became “Carlton and united breweries”
Even poor old Ballarat Bertie was eventually gobbled up by this corporate machine.

6 Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:04 PM

Has anyone else got a copy of “Bronzed brews”?

It is a book that goes through history of Australian commercial beer (mostly sydney beers) and was written by a bloke who managed to get access to the old brewery archives.

He put a whole bunch of all grain recipes for historic beers.

It goes through the trends, and how locally they made a lot of stouts, porters and XXX until about 100 years ago and then trends changed and lager breweries opened and the big companies ate up all the little ones.

Pretty much all the recipes have a decent sugar content due to how brewing was back then, but there is a few interesting ones.

Grains are mostly marris otter , and 6 row pilsner or ale malt.

Hops are pretty much all EKG and cluster

Last edited by meves (Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:04 PM)