1 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi all,
After my disaster with Brew number 12 (a previous post), I've gone back to simplicity for Brew Number 13. This time trying to keep temps and such under control.

One pouch of MJ Craft Series No7 Golden Lager and a KG of ‘Ultrabrew’ (50% Malt, 25% Dextrose, 25% Corn Syrup) and a sachet of M54 California Lager yeast.

I was very good this time and sprinkle pitched at 18C.
I have been working hard to keep the temp steady as I don't have a fridge yet, but sitting the FV in 6" water covered with a wet towel and some occasional ice blocks has kept it steady at 22-24C. Still a bit high I know, but we'll see how it goes!

Certainly not as active as previous brews but there is action.
I'll be bottling late on day 7 or early day 8 as I have no choice due to leaving late day 8 for a while. I hope it's finished fermenting!

Cheers
Ralph

2 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:10 PM

Sounds like it went better than the last one! Hopefully it turns out well. Next step is to try re-hydrating the yeast. More of them will survive the pitch into wort if it is re-hydrated, giving you a better fermentation performance.

3 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:55 PM

So far so good! Keeping the FV constant at 22-24 using ice and fresh water..! exited!
I may just be able to drink this one!

Ralph

4 Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:07 PM

You will unless something goes drastically wrong.

5 Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:02 PM

Well, The jury is in!
This brew is my best by far. No metallic taste and head retention and thickness is great.
Very very drinkable.
My one point is that, for a golden lager that looks the part, I think it lacks a little ‘taste’.
Certainly not bad, but I expected a ‘deeper’ more complex flavour.
I reckon it's quite benign flavour wise, but I'm not complaining as it's very drinkable, even nice!
I know I need to brew a few degrees cooler though as I still detect some fusal alcohols (I think that's what they're called?) as after two bottles, a small managable headache sometimes comes on.

The OG was 1.040 and I bottled at 1.013 morning of day 8.
This calculates a about 3.5% ABV. A little low I thought for this brew but again, I generally tend to purchase mid strength commercially, so not concerned.

Over all, Chuffed!
I'm thinking of doing this one again to build a stock before I venture out again.

Cheers
Ralph

6 Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:54 PM

Ralph1malph:

I know I need to brew a few degrees cooler though as I still detect some fusal alcohols (I think that's what they're called?) as after two bottles, a small managable headache sometimes comes on.

I assume it was the M54 Californian Lager Yeast you used? Lager yeast usually works best fermenting cold but interestingly the recommended temp range for this one is 18-20ºC.

7 Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 8:06 PM

BlackSands:

Ralph1malph:

I know I need to brew a few degrees cooler though as I still detect some fusal alcohols (I think that's what they're called?) as after two bottles, a small manageable headache sometimes comes on.

I assume it was the M54 Californian Lager Yeast you used? Lager yeast usually works best fermenting cold but interestingly the recommended temp range for this one is 18-20ºC.

By Jove, I think you're right! Post edited.

So maybe cooling further may not help? Although I could lower it a degree or two I suspect to put it in the 20ish range?

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph1malph (Monday, March 13, 2017 8:06 PM)