1 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:09 AM

A friend of mine wants to (mildly) hop up the Canadian Blonde kit using Amarillo and a Smurto-esque schedule of 10@20, 10@5 and 10 dry. I've not used this kit before so can't offer any advice, but I do know from experience that it's possible to do more harm than good if you add the wrong hops to the wrong kit.

So, any thoughts or advice?

2 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:17 AM

I've done the CB kit with the same schedule but using Centenial. If memory serves me correctly it added about 10 IBU to the kit. I think the CB kit is low 20's so put me at around 32 IBU I think. It turned out pretty decent.

3 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:24 AM

Canadian Blonde - pure hop aroma throwing subtle spicy and floral characters. I have made the kit several times dry hopping with cascade. Nice and easy to drink.

4 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:47 AM

I'd be surprised if a 10g dry hop would be noticed at all, even in a lowly hopped kit like that one. I'd be inclined to increase it to 25-30g if it was me.

5 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:25 AM

Ha, that is just because you are used to a lot of hops Kelsey. I just made a OS Lager kit with 5mg Citra at 20 minutes, 5gm @ 5 minutes, and 10gm dry hop. Plenty hoppy for me.

Cheers,

Christina.

6 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:58 AM

Otto Von Blotto:

I'd be surprised if a 10g dry hop would be noticed at all

Christina:

I just made a OS Lager kit with 5mg Citra at 20 minutes, 5gm @ 5 minutes, and 10gm dry hop. Plenty hoppy for me.

It seems to me that other factors have a significant impact on the amount required, and of course the hop variety itself plays a part. I guess the Canadian Blonde and OS larger are fairly similar - both quite light so I could image 10-20g depending on preference would do the job. I've never dry-hopped with less than 20g… in a pale ale that was enough for my tastes, but in a recent malty amber, well I might as well have not bothered!

7 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:55 AM

That's probably true Christina. My pales have a minimum 40g dry hop these days

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:55 AM)