1 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:43 PM

http://i.imgur.com/LWpnE0Y.jpg

Better he arrived late than never. Any advice on settings and set ups would be welcomed.

2 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:20 PM

That's a sweet looking unit.
Is it aluminium?

3 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:53 PM

Hardened 420 Stainless Steel

4 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9 PM

The colour threw me, I thought an aluminium chassis would be unusual, but then again I have no idea the kind of pressure required to crush the grain. SS definitely makes more engineering sense.

5 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:25 AM

Set it up to crack open the grains while keeping the husks largely intact and producing as little flour as possible. You'll probably have to sacrifice some grains to experimenting with this to find the right gap size. I don't know how the gap size works with the double fluted model, but on my hybrid model it looks to be about 1mm wide, maybe 1.1 or 1.2. You might have to use a smaller gap on the double fluted model to get the same effect, I'm not sure.

As for set ups, I don't know if you got the hopper with it as well but something like this is the simplest way to set it up so it just mills straight into a bucket:

Cheers

Kelsey

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

6 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:57 AM

Thanks Kelsey that looks great, I like the idea of the bucket and will definitely copy your design. I did purchase the hopper as I thought it would be a lot more difficult without one. The drill looks like a good idea too. Thanks for the milling tips, I kinda figured like most things in brewing it's a bit of trial and error.

Cheers

Greg

7 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:59 AM

No worries mate, glad to be able to help

The drill is an 18V drill driver; they're the only type really that work well for this purpose. When I'm milling grains I set it to the highest torque and low speed.

Yeah you can't use it without a hopper of some sort. The hopper they supply now is really good compared to the old perspex ones although I'm gonna remove the finger guard because it's just annoying. It holds about 5kg of grain, so for most batches I can weigh the entire malt bill into it, and then mill it straight into the bucket in a matter of a few minutes. I'm doing a brew day today with just under 5kg grain… might time the milling and see how long it actually does take.

Cheers

Kelsey

8 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:30 PM

I have a metabo corded drill which I rarely use after purchasing a good 18V cordless 2 years ago and thought I might give it a crack first.
How do you manage to get your photos to appear instead of a link?

9 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:38 PM

If it's a drill driver it should work fine. Normal drills don't have enough torque for this kind of application.

As for the pictures, I upload them directly and when that's done I right click on the file name underneath the posting window, then click on “copy link location”, and paste that in between the usual img tags or simply click on the picture button at the top and paste it in the pop up box.

10 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:07 PM

Thanks Kelsey,

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

11 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:27 PM

Good stuff mate! And no dramas. I can't upload any pics at the moment, the upload button has disappeared for me… maybe I uploaded too many

12 Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:11 PM

Here you Kelsey, thanks for the design

Cheers

Greg

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

13 Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:58 PM

No worries mate although I can't take credit, it's pretty common to set mills up like that. In any case, it looks great and it will surely make milling a quick and easy task on brew days. It certainly has for me

Last brew day I timed it, and it took approx. 5 and a half minutes to mill the 5kg grain bill. Not too shabby at all.

Cheers

Kelsey

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:58 PM)