1 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:35 AM

I have just bottled my brew after 2 weeks. Im not sure about this as when it got towards the bottom, there was a lot of muck and sludge. Is this normal, as this is only my second time and i didnt bottle my first batch so i dont know what to expect.

With my kit i got the plastic bottles and i ran out of bottles. I put some in lemonade bottles, after a good soaking and washing, will this be ok.

The Pale Ale i brewed has a great colour and tasted ok to me, then again i am just learning.

2 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:39 AM

Sludge is normal, it's just yeast and other muck from the wort. You can actually harvest some of this stuff into a clean and sanitised jar and then pitch it into another batch, this might be more useful down the track if you get into buying yeast other than the kit yeast.

The beer should be fine in lemonade bottles, just make sure they are stored away from any light.

3 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:39 AM

Perfectly normal Mate…

The longer you chill bottles after secondary fermentation in fridge with upright bottles the cleaner the yeast will settle…its basically cold crash bottle conditioning!

Clear bottles such as lemonade bottles are fine mate just keep them from any light until drinking…

4 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:41 AM

Hey Kelsey… happy new year

5 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:48 AM

Waylon:

Perfectly normal Mate…

The longer you chill bottles after secondary fermentation in fridge with upright bottles the cleaner the yeast will settle…its basically cold crash bottle conditioning!

Clear bottles such as lemonade bottles are fine mate just keep them from any light until drinking…

Thanks guys.

The thing i have found is bottling from the keg thing, without the Kransky colar, is you tend to dribble a lot down the side of that plastic tube, no wasnt trying to drink out of it. Its a bit hard at first and i was wondering if there was a better way of bottling from this Coopers keg thing.

6 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:54 AM

I don't have one of those fermenters so I can't answer that one, sorry mate.

Happy new year Waylon!

7 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:57 AM

If it's dribbling down the side of the tube, I would suggest you need to push it into the tap more.
Unless I've misunderstood?

8 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:59 PM

ImaginativeName:

If it's dribbling down the side of the tube, I would suggest you need to push it into the tap more.
Unless I've misunderstood?

I thought that also, but you cant because there is a ridge inside the spout. Not worry though, i got the bottles full so now i wait, but how long. It looks and smells great.

9 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:12 PM

gonewrong:

is you tend to dribble a lot down the side of that plastic tube.

I would start to drink from a glass then, although after a few you may still dribble but down your shirt instead!

(On a serious note, sorry can't help don't use one of those fermenters)

10 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:21 PM

2 weeks for carbonation to occur. Probably 3-4 weeks for it to start tasting great.

11 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:30 PM

Is the bottle filler and tap all part of the same kit?
I'd be asking for a replacement of something.

Otherwise, take the tap off and find a better fitting filler.

I'm not even sure if that's what it's even called…..Somebody, help.

12 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:38 PM

Bottling wand!

13 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 11:54 AM

ImaginativeName:

Is the bottle filler and tap all part of the same kit?
I'd be asking for a replacement of something.

Otherwise, take the tap off and find a better fitting filler.

I'm not even sure if that's what it's even called…..Somebody, help.

Yes they are all part of the same kit.

If i take the tap off the beer will spill out. Or do you mean find a replacement tap.

14 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:30 PM

Sounds like the bottling tube and the tap aren't quite compatible. If that's the case, try running a bit of plumbers tape (the stuff they use for tap threads) around the top of the tube before seating it inside the tap. You can get it in Bunnings for a couple of bucks.

edit: You might find the tape may tend to be pushed down by the tap instead of seating inside the tap. You can fix this by running the tape slightly higher than the top of the tube. Under tension it should fold over the top of the tube slightly which should hold it in place while you seat it inside the tap opening.

15 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 3:21 PM

If that's from a new kit, it shouldn't be leaking, ask for a replacement for the tap, the wand, or both, it would be difficult to determine which part is ‘faulty’, I would have to assume the wand, the tap is a little more precise being cast, and hard plastic.

My wand leaks a little at the bottom because the valve doesn't always seat properly after the bottle is filled.

I accept that as a less than desirable design, I would not accept leaking between the bottling wand (thanks joolbag) and the tap from a new kit.

While on this subject, does anybody know of a better wand, maybe something with a SS bearing as opposed to an ill fitting piece of plastic?

16 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 3:30 PM

My coopers wand also leaks Like a sieve from the valve seat.

17 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 3:45 PM

The bearded machinist:

My coopers wand also leaks Like a sieve from the valve seat.

This is usually caused by:
  • the o-ring on the poppet is not seated properly
  • a small amount of excess plastic inside the valve or on the poppet (like a dag)
  • and/or bits of hop debris and the like being caught in the valve

18 Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 4:35 PM

Ok then.

I'm going to inspect my wand, and become the beer wizard I was always destined to be.

Harry Hopper?

Last edited by ImaginativeName (Friday, January 13, 2017 4:35 PM)