1 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:25 AM

Finally managed to get Some Citra hops from Craftbrewer, ( seems every time I looked for them on the net they were sold out or ridiculously priced).
But I thought I would get some Nottingham yeast x 2 , thrown in to make the postage costs a bit more worth while.
However, as I am not at home for a month or so, I had them delivered to relatives and asked them to put the hops in the freezer and the yeast in the fridge.
Found out that both the hops and yeast went in the freezer.
I have had a look on the net and the info is a bit contradictory, as to whether you can do this or not ( freeze dry yeast).
Anyone done this before and how did it turn out.?

Suppose I could rehydrate it to see if it creams up, then put it into a starter.
If it doesn't show action at rehydration, the that would mean it's dead right.??

Cheers

James

2 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:47 AM

Yeast are pretty hardy little buggers , while not ideal i have stored dry yeasts in the freezer and used them with decent results

3 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:28 AM

There are trace amounts of water left in the cells on packaging so freezing is contraindicated as it will cause the water to crystallize, which will rupture some cells. In other words it kills yeast. I have seen numbers of 50%. However after the initial loss, those cells that do survive will remain viable for a long time.

Before I was aware of the above I used to freeze yeast. I did end up with beer, but has been too long ago for me to say if there were issues or not.

Since your yeast is frozen already, keep it that way until you are ready to use it; no point moving it to the fridge now. Probably the best idea would be to rehydrate and then make a starter, or use both packages in one batch.

Cheers,

Christina.

4 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:35 AM

Good time to consider a yeast starter

MAke a starter if in dought mate…

If you get some good cultivated yeast from the yeast starter your laughing

5 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:11 AM

Back in Feb'2012, we started a trial comparing the effect on Coopers Dry Ale yeast when stored at various temps. We sat several sachets on a office window-sill (gets direct sun for some of the day though the colder months), in a desk drawer, fridge and freezer.

The intention was to check viability when the sachets were 1mth, 3mths, 12mths and 2years old.

From memory, the tests at 3mths showed the window-sill sachets to have suffered the slightest viability loss, while the others had no measurable loss.

Sadly, despite the sachets having identifying labels and for various other reasons, all sachets but those in the freezer were discarded. The trial was closed.

Move forward to Feb'2016 - I received an email saying that the freezer in the tea-room was being cleaned out and yeast sachets with a note attached (“Do not discard, see PB2”) were found.

So, just for the fun of it, I grabbed one of the sachets and sprinkled directly onto a typical 23 litre brew (OG: 1036) at a temp of 21C. Here is a pic of the progress at the 18 hour mark.

Show Image Attachments
Image Attachments:

6 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:49 PM

4 whole years in the freezer and still viable ?
Even hardier than I thought !
Is the Cooper's dehydration process the same as Danstar ?

7 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:13 PM

thats a pretty cool experiment, i wonder how it would taste?
i wonder if an unhealthy and low number of cells (packet of yeast) would still produce a krausen like that but produce bad flavours due to stress???

8 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:59 PM

OK then, looks like I will give them a go.
First rehydrating then making a starter (x 2).
Will have the Coopers can yeast as a back up, if no action.

Cheers

James

9 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:37 AM

Interesting PB2. Your experiment seems to support that what I read (see my early post).

Cheers,

Christina.

10 Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:42 AM

I keep bread making yeast in the freezer. Never have an issue with that in either sugar washes or bread.

11 Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:52 AM

Back home now and finally getting 2 brews down tonight.
Rehydrated the frozen yeast 2 days ago, as per Instructions on the packet of Nottingham x 2
They both creamed up really well, more so than I remember on previous attempts with rehydrating dry yeast.
Put them into 2 x 3 litre starters with 250gms DME in each starter, and used the intermittent shaken method.

The only thing was it didn't really Krausen up, but not sure if that's because every half hour or so I was tightening the lid on the juice bottle and inverting the bottle a couple of times to get the yeast off the bottom, back into suspension.
When I do this the pressure in the bottle increases and when I crack the the lid the beer foams up.
The beer is starting to clear this morning so I think most of the yeast action is over now.

I think I should be OK and will put 2 litres each into the batches tonight and save 1 litre for next time.
Looks and smells like the other times I have rehydrated and made starters ( about 3 times ).

Cheers

James

12 Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:54 AM

Forgot to say I let the yeast come up to room temperature from the freezer before rehydrating.
Can't wait to get these brews down.
Got no homebrew left so bought my first carton in 12 months (Adnams Ghost Ship Pale Ale)
Cheers
James

13 Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 10:17 AM

Oopp, I accidentally hit “report to moderator” whilst scrolling through. Mods please disregard.

14 Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:13 AM

OK, I think that the frozen yeast is good.
Finished the brews last night at 8pm, and at 8am this morning they both have healthy looking krausens on them about 25-30mm thick.
Happy days, can't wait to taste the beers.

Cheers

James

Last edited by James Lao (Sunday, January 29, 2017 11:13 AM)