1 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 8:41 PM

I bought some LDM from a HBS while I was down the coast, it's coarser compared to Coopers LDM, which is like talcum powder.

Is this unusual?

Being as cynical as I am, I can't help but wonder if it's possible that it's bulked up with dextrose.

I'm hoping somebody can allay my concerns (paranoia).

Edit: it dissolves quite readily, and it kinda sticks to the edge of the bag when I pour it out, as if it's statically charged.

I'm too cynical aren't I?

2 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 8:51 PM

Yeh ive noticed the coopers light dryed malt is easier to pour out and weigh

No big deal its basically the same and its good enough for me

I use either of them in my starters never had a problem

3 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 9:11 PM

I actually find the cooper harder to dissolve

4 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 9:40 PM

I feel better now.

Yeah, first time I used Coopers LDM, I ended up with a heap of clumps.

5 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 11:57 PM

It's just the method they use to dry it. Some dry malt extracts are band dried and some are spray dried. I think the band dried stuff is coarser than the spray dried, but it's not bulked up with dextrose. Dextrose is a finer powder than the band dried extract anyway.

I'm actually a bit annoyed at my LHBS at the moment. I use LDM for yeast starters and have done for a few years now since going AG, and for a long time the LHBS sold LDM that was reasonably coarse and easily dissolved. It was easier to weigh out. It also didn't froth up all over the bloody place when I boiled the resultant wort in my Erlenmeyers on the stove. I don't know who made it but I figure it was band dried. Now they've got this shitty fine powder stuff that is very hard to dissolve and when the wort is boiled it turns into a volcano on the stove if I am not quick enough to cut the gas. It's like it gets a full on hot break happening - which should have already happened at the brewery that produced the LDM. The wort goes very clear when boiled and there are usually these greyish looking things floating around in it as well, sometimes a few cm long. Proteins perhaps . I guess it's spray dried. Whatever it is, it's crap and I find it much more difficult to work with both from dissolving and boiling points of view.

Oh well…

Cheers

Kelsey

6 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:50 AM

i just bought a 20kg box of LDME before xmas from beerbelly and asked who is supplying them with their malt at the moment because the last box i bought was really fine and got airborn really easy when measuring it out and pouring it into the fermenter. it was a real pain in the arse and left the kitchen in a mess.
the new box that i have got was said to be supplied by coopers and is quite coarse and easier to work with. the beerbelly site also states that its made by coopers backing up what i was told, but it doesnt meant that its where it really comes form i suppose.
im not sure whether its spray malt or band dried.

7 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:07 AM

In any case, I'm more comfortable using the HBS stuff, the fine stuff is messy, and seems to have a tendency to clump.
It was just another new thing for me, 2 products supposed to be the same, but looking quite different from one another.

How much did that cost John?

8 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:38 AM

the 20kg bag of LDME cost me $135…
and a 25kg bag of Dextrose for extra odds and sods cost me $50.
buying in bulk keeps the cost down for me as i only brew extract, and i can mix up my own enhancer styles if im not using all malt.

9 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:33 PM

I'm going to get some more LDM for yeast starters tomorrow, along with a replacement 250mL hydrometer testing jar for brew days since I broke mine yesterday

Hopefully they've gone back to the old stuff

10 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:50 PM

That works out pretty cheap.
Supplier?

I've got a real starter going now Kelsey

11 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:59 PM

It is cheaper but using 200-300g at a time for yeast starters would take me forever to get through it and it might go bad before I did . Making full batches though is obviously a different circumstance as you're using more like 2.5-3kg at a time.

Hopefully the starter is going nicely mate!

12 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:09 PM

Yes, other than shelf life, I imagine having an opened bag of that sitting around for a long time might be attractive to ants and cockroaches too.

I pitched the white sugar RCCCY straight into the homebrand wort, it's happily chugging away now, no doubt it will be delicious…..served at about 1 degree Celsius, after the 6th glass.

13 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:10 PM

20kgs would be alot of starters
i try to keep the bag as air tight as possible and transfer malt into about 5ltr tuperware containers when one is empty, this way i try to keep the main bag closed to the elements for as long as possible.
i found an old bag of about 200g of malt in the back of a draw and that had turned into a big piece of rock, so that would suck if you spent all that money for it to turn to stone.

Imaginative… i go and pick most of my stuff from beerbelly brewing… its on the other side of town for me, but where i work we have delivery drivers which venture out across adelaide which suits my purposes pretty well
Beerbelly
others have said here before that their shipping module works out to be pretty expensive tho which would negate the savings.

14 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:27 PM

Otto Von Blotto:

along with a replacement 250mL hydrometer testing jar]

Kelsey mate i was going to ask you about this. I ordered a 100mL borosilicate measuring cyclinger from eBay. it's not tall enough for my hydro! well barely. i tested it in tap water and it bottomed out.

in a wort I had just made up, it floated, but i feel at 1.010 and below it will bottom out.

What is the prob? Measuring cylinder too short? or hydro too long?

i can take a pic and measure up when i get home tonight if that helps

15 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:54 PM

Yeah show us a photo if you like, it may well be the same size as the one I have. My hydrometer is a lot shorter than the tube though, so it floats easily unless I drink too much of the sample.

The hydrometer I got was off eBay as well, it's a Stevenson Reeves one made in Scotland. Glass one piece construction. I've had two glass ones from the LHBS in the past which were longer than this one, and they also began to leak due to the two piece construction.

Funny thing is, the only reason I had that 250mL testing jar in the first place is because my original 100mL one got broken and they didn't have any more in stock when I went to replace it, so I had to buy that one or go without doing any readings. Then I saw that it was excellent for taking pre-boil gravity readings on brew day, so I kept it for that once I replaced the 100mL one.

Maybe I should find a 1L Pyrex jug so I can drain the urn more and use the big jar for post-boil readings as well. I don't think I'd get enough clear wort from the 500mL jug to fill the big test jar enough to float the hydro.

16 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:27 PM

Snapped a pic of my 100mL measuring cylinder.

The height from bottom of liquid to meniscus is 22cm. The lowest my hydrometer can go without bottoming put would be 1.008. I'd love a shorter and stubbier one (said no man ever!)

17 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:16 PM

I'm another Beerbelly customer, but I buy the 5kg bags of light DME for $38, that size bag is easier to handle and I'm less worried about it going stale or getting spoiled. Some of the 1kg bags are Briess, but the larger ones are Coopers - both have worked well for me, but they do throw a bit of fine, sticky dust over the bench…

18 Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:27 PM

I've decided I don't like the fine stuff at all after today, it's messy and it has a tendency to clump.

I'm off it.

The coarser stuff is very user friendly.

19 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:11 AM

joolbag:

Snapped a pic of my 100mL measuring cylinder.
The height from bottom of liquid to meniscus is 22cm. The lowest my hydrometer can go without bottoming put would be 1.008. I'd love a shorter and stubbier one (said no man ever!)

Ok yeah, that's basically the same as the testing jar I have but my hydrometer is a lot shorter. It's actually about 1 or 2cm shorter than the testing jar, so I don't even have to fill the thing to the top for FG samples. My previous hydrometer that sprung a leak looked a lot like the one in that photo too.

Last edited by Otto Von Blotto (Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:11 AM)