1 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 1:33 PM

Hi. I am making this kit for the first time as it has just arrived at my LHBS. I see from the kit yeast sticky that it comes with lager yeast, so I am brewing it as such (starter + beer fridge). Very curious to try it.

PB2, at one time you posted a list of which (finishing) hops are in which kits but I cannot find that thread back now, so don't know if you updated that list with the info about the Golden Crown Lager or not. Did you? Could you? And can you please provide a link that that thread?

Thanks PB2.

Cheers,

Christina.

2 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 1:53 PM

For what it's worth, I really liked this one. A friend thought it tasted like ‘something you’d brew in gaol' but he drinks Wild Yak and John Boston so I think you can disregard that. He also hated a nice Pils I loved and bought a 6er for him because I thought he'd love it, too! Good thing is though, he bought them back over the weekend and I was so happy to see them again! I'm rambling. .

It was very unique. I'm strongly guessing POW

3 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 2:03 PM

Thanks Corky, but what's POW?

Oh, I found that thread I was asking about:

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/15125/?page=1#p172929

Cheers,

Christina.

4 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:31 PM

ChristinaS1:

Thanks Corky, but what's POW?

Oh, I found that thread I was asking about:

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/15125/?page=1#p172929

Cheers,

Christina.

Think corky means pride of ringwood (POR) not pow

5 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:40 PM

Oh yeahh, just saw the typo. There are no P.O.W's in Coopers golden crown lager (far as I'm aware anyway)

Thanks for correcting me! Sorry Chris'

6 Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 9:35 PM

Hope I like the kit. I bought two of them.

Christina.

7 Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:13 PM

Bump.

8 Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:53 AM

Well, I guess PB2 is not going to answer my question, so I will give my own review. I just bottled my first batch and tasted the leftovers, which was mixed with priming sugar.

Whatever the late hops are, I am not a fan. It is not one I recognize. I agree with Corksniffer that it is very distinctive. I find it bears some resemblance to Saaz, without being Saaz; it is more harsh. Corksniffer may well be right that it is POR, but I don't know, as I have never tried it (before).

As for my second kit of this, I think I am going to late hop it with Hallertauer, or something like that.

Cheers,

Christina.

9 Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:27 AM

Would be nice to be able to ask a question directly to somebody
IE: @PB2 and have it flag as a notification for him ….poor guy would never get any work done if it did though

10 Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:20 PM

Sorry Christina, I read the posts and thought that you had answered your own question by finding the thread to which you referred. I didn't think to open the thread and check to see if Golden Crown Lager was listed.

Updated now!
https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/15125/?page=1#p172929

11 Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:27 PM

Christina, ever since Coopers released this kit I have been curious to try a Dortmunder Export beer and researched the style extensively. I think it is one I will really enjoy with that malty, bready base balanced with hop bitterness and flavour.

Thanks for sharing your review. I'm yet to decide if I will try this kit or if I will try and craft one from a pure extract base. Likely to be the latter, but I have had only good experience with the TC series cans. 86 Days Pilsner and Brew A IPA were good brews and all I did was a late flavour boil (and dry hop in the IPA)

12 Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:55 PM

PB2:

Sorry Christina, I read the posts and thought that you had answered your own question by finding the thread to which you referred. I didn't think to open the thread and check to see if Golden Crown Lager was listed.

Updated now!
https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/15125/?page=1#p172929

Thanks PB2. It was an easy mistake for a busy man.

Yes, I can taste the “herbaceous” and “resinous” notes. I'll have to pay more attention once its carbonated to see if I can discern any floral ones.

Cheers,

Christina.

Last edited by ChristinaS1 (Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:55 PM)