1 Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 9:20 AM

hi can anyone assist each time I have sterilised my brewbin coopers fermenting bin some of the solution spills out does this always happen and can I stop it

2 Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 11:09 AM

ok I can see no one is willing to answer my question only wish to know if there was a way to avoid the spillage is due to me being over vagares with my shaking of the fermenting bin but I suppose being from Scotland uk I'm not important enough to consider a reply

3 Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 1:03 PM

So, you put a sanitising solution in to your coopers FV, you put the lid on and give it a shake, and solution comes out the top?

I would expect some spillage, probably even moreso if the Krausen collar is in.

Do it outside on the lawn.

I'm not sure what being from Scotland has to do with anything? Your post was on the last day of the year and no doubt everybody was busy thinking about what they were drinking for NYE

4 Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 1:42 PM

yeah i dont think there is much you can do about it apart from hold it tight and shake over the lawn or bathtub.

5 Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 4:41 PM

You're not actually sterilising your FV, you're sanitising it.

I don't see the point in part filling it and the shaking the shit out of it on the lawn, over the bathtub or anywhere else.

The thing to do is dismantle your FV into its component parts and wash it in some suitable sanitiser. Use a non-abrasive kitchen sponge (one used exclusively for your brewing activities rather than one that has been used for soap/detergent). Methods vary a bit depending on your choice of sanitiser. Personally I wash out the FV in very warm water until it's visibly clean, then wash it in a solution of Sodium Metabisulphite. Drain and leave for an hour before giving it a good rinse and you're good to go with the next batch as long as you remembered to put the tap back in.

Try not to scratch the inside of your FV, by the way - it creates harbours for “bugs” to hide in.

6 Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 5:30 PM

cerise-in-tights:

but I suppose being from Scotland uk I'm not important enough to consider a reply

Perhaps no one understood your question? I certainly didn't.
No need to get all sad on us.

7 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 6:31 AM

thanks firstly ben 10 I'm not sad was just getting a wee bit frustrated. as for everyone's answers brill probably do it over the bath tub not sure I could trust yon bloody midges oot side my hoose is slap bang next tae the woods great for my cats but too many insects however what I use is a non rinse steriliser/sanitizer and no hahahahaha!!! I do not put the krausen collar on to sanitise, it is done separately in a wash up bowl specifically for my home brew

8 Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 9:24 AM

dadndave:

You're not actually sterilising your FV, you're sanitising it.

I don't see the point in part filling it and the shaking the shit out of it on the lawn, over the bathtub or anywhere else.

The thing to do is dismantle your FV into its component parts and wash it in some suitable sanitiser. Use a non-abrasive kitchen sponge (one used exclusively for your brewing activities rather than one that has been used for soap/detergent). Methods vary a bit depending on your choice of sanitiser. Personally I wash out the FV in very warm water until it's visibly clean, then wash it in a solution of Sodium Metabisulphite. Drain and leave for an hour before giving it a good rinse and you're good to go with the next batch as long as you remembered to put the tap back in.

Try not to scratch the inside of your FV, by the way - it creates harbours for “bugs” to hide in.

What he said.

I'm not even using the spoon anymore, it's left marks on the bottom after 2 batches.

I just pick it up and give a swirl to mix.

I picked up some starsan and a spray bottle for the final touch, works a treat.

Last edited by ImaginativeName (Monday, January 09, 2017 9:24 AM)