1 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:48 PM

Just opened a James Squire 50 Lashes Pale Ale to compare with my Valley Pale. Both brews have Galaxy hops and I love the Galaxy from Bushy Park. I was itching to do this at 4 pm but think that's a bit early for a tasting.
This got me thinking:
1. What time is Beer O'clock at your place?
2. What ABV% range do you prefer to Brew?
3. How many standard drinks is enough?
4. How many Alcohol Free Days do you have a week?

And here are my answers:
1. 5pm
2. 4 - 4.4%
3. four
4. two

Brewing Regards

Scottie

2 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:48 PM

for me
at about 4:15pm
between 4-5%
depending what night 2-4

Ronald

3 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:58 PM

1. What time is Beer O'clock at your place? ( 5pm )
2. What ABV% range do you prefer to Brew? (4-5%)
3. How many standard drinks is enough? ( 4-5 longnecks )
4. How many Alcohol Free Days do you have a week? (0)

My Name is Greg and I…….I…..LOVE BEER!

4 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8 PM

1. About 7:00pm on weekdays, 3-4 on weekends
2. 4-7% (4% for English, 7% Belgians, all else in between)
3. 1 bottle on weekdays, 3-4 bottles on Fri-Sun. Some 375ml some 500ml. A 750ml counts as 2. I find standard drinks waaaay too hard to count, as none of my bottles would equal a # of standard drinks.
4. I try for one AFD, but it quite often doesn't happen.

Good thread Scottie.

5 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:37 PM

1. Depends but generally after 4.30
2. 3.8% - 5% depending on beer type, generally at the low end.
3. 2-4….or sometimes a lot more…
4. Try for 2, usually manage at least one…on a rare occasion 3…unless I am back in the Territory working on remote communities which could make it more…..I try and avoid that though.

6 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:52 PM

1. Depends. Work days 1900, non work days between 1500 and 1700
2. I like to brew strong, 6% to 8% but it's really not sessionable.
3. What is a standard drink? 3 large PETs most nights and up to 6 if I get in the groove.
4. Only have AFDs when I have night shift. Maybe 3 in a row every two months.

7 Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:30 PM

1. Beer O'clock - I don't really have one. I get home from work after 7.30pm. On weekends I probably start at 4pm. But if I feel like a beer earlier I will crack one open.

2. ABV - it varies but my standard beers are usually around 5.5%.

3. Standard drinks - weeknights I limit it to one schooner. Weekends are 3-4 schooners.

4. AFDs - somewhere between 0-4. Lately my AFDs have been Monday to Thursday. But sometimes Thursday comes around and I sneak a cheeky beer in.

8 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:18 AM

1. What time is Beer O'clock at your place? I work a multitude of different shifts during my working week, so basically enjoy my beer when I can.
2. What ABV% range do you prefer to Brew? Mostly 4.5 - 5.0%.
3. How many standard drinks is enough? It varies. My brain usually tells me when it is enough.
4. How many Alcohol Free Days do you have a week? I try for two each week.

Good thread Scottie.

Cheers,

Anthony.

9 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:08 AM

Ben 10:

1. Depends. Work days 1900, non work days between 1500 and 1700
2. I like to brew strong, 6% to 8% but it's really not sessionable.
3. What is a standard drink? 3 large PETs most nights and up to 6 if I get in the groove.
4. Only have AFDs when I have night shift. Maybe 3 in a row every two months.

…up to 6 if I get in the groove. …at 6-8%…I think you might need to have a look at yourself Ben…while you can still see…

10 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:49 AM

1. Weekdays 5:00ish. Weekends usually 3:00ish. Sometimes earlier if I'm brewing or working in the brewery doing something and would like to sample something new.

2. 4.5-6.5%. Mostly 5%ish

3. I usually enjoy 4-6 pints daily

4. Never.

11 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:19 AM

A Beer oclock is 5pm
B 4.5%-5.7% abv
C 2 tallies home brew usually
Dno days off live by myself look forward to a beer and a bit of music after doing things all dayCheers Tezza

Edit Question C: 3 or4 if it's a hot night or I am enjoying beer or have a reason to celebrate!

12 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:01 PM

Valley Brew:

1. Usually depends on whether I've made some kind of achievement. If I've just been on a 150km+ bike ride you'd better believe I'm having a beer afterwards no matter what time it is!! Otherwise it's just after work I suppose.

2. ~5%, preferably a little less but they all seem to end up ~5.5%

3. Hmmm … during the week “two beers” (one long-neck) is enough, so I guess that's three standard drinks? On the weekend it's a six pack

4. Not enough. The answer should be three (Mon-Wed) but it never happens. Last night I got a bit silly and went through four long-necks

13 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Valley Brew:

]

1. The PM - 12:01pm except Friday thats usually 5pm
2. 3.5-5.5
3. More mathematical then standard, 5 tallies that way one brew lasts a fortnight, easier for me to know when i am running low.
4. 4

Cheers Chezza

P.S. I will be having a brew or two tonight, last day of work for 10 days, due to swmbo wanting to get married

14 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:30 PM

1. What time is Beer O'clock at your place? when I feel like one, but more often than not 1500 to 1700
2. What ABV% range do you prefer to Brew? 4.5 & up, bloody sparkling…….
3. How many standard drinks is enough? 1 tally per day maybe 2 or 3 on a Saturday or a Sunday, but not always, just some times
4. How many Alcohol Free Days do you have a week? Monday and Tuesday, unless I have a good reason.

Cheers.

15 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:33 PM

1) When the sun is over the yardarm - anywhere in the world
2) 2.5% - 12%
3) Enough for what? To be the funniest person on the planet? For every member of the opposite sex to be attractive?
4) ???

16 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:37 PM

NewtownClown:

1) When the sun is over the yardarm - anywhere in the world
2) 2.5% - 12%
3) Enough for what? To be the funniest person on the planet? For every member of the opposite sex to be attractive?
4) ???

Hi Moonface

Just to clarify so you can answer fully, an Alcohol-Free Day is one where you don't go to the hotel or bottleshop and pay money to purchase beer. Drinking home-crafted beers qualifies as an AFD as far as I'm aware.

17 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:48 PM

1: On a weekday home time is beer time. Midday on the weekends.
2: 4% - 5.5%
3: Three tallies on Friday & Saturday is usually standard unless it's party time. 1 tallie on Sunday & Monday otherwise.
4: 3 (Tues - Thurs). Mondays suck and almost always require beer.

Good fun

18 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:49 PM

1. Workdays is anytime after i have knocked off. Weekends, Holidays, Camping etc. I have no specific times. If i mow the lawns early, my first can be before 9am.

2. About 4.5% is about right for me, but i make a nice mid strength Cerveza thats about 3.2% and I also make a Citra hopped Real Ale that runs out around 6%

3. Anything between 1 and 12 depending on the situation, company and timeframe. A camping weekend with the boys normally means about 50 and is generally one long session broken up with the odd meal, a bit of a fish and sometimes a nap.

4. I try to have at least 2, but who am I kidding

Nice thread Scotty, and some interesting answers.

19 Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:08 PM

3pm, used to be 4pm got fed up of waiting for 4pm
I don't check that I just drink em
2x 740ml pet's
nice idea but cant do it myself

20 Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 6:44 AM

Well you see I am in the US so I have a question about some of the words used here, one in particular
in this thread and it is (tallies) could you enlighten me as to what this stands for please? Most words I understand & you guys have a sense of humor & keep me in stitches