1 Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:21 AM

I am. :)

This is a my 2nd year Chinook from Dr. Smurto. Its first year yielded bugger all but this year it has gone monkey shit.

There are flowers popping up all over the damn thing. To be frank, I absolutely hate brewing with whole flowers, but I think I'll make an exception this year and dump them all in a home grown Chinook IPA.

Anyone else growing? (Hops)

2 Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:38 AM

Yup! I've got a Cascade and a Centenial. They are both under a foot of snow at the moment. They are one season old and I got about a mason jar full of flowers from each. I'm looking forward to next summer.

I'd like to get a Chinnok too.

I hear you about brewing with whole flowers. Have you ever tried mash hopping? its a good way of using whole cones without the big mess. Remember fresh is best! you can't get them much fresher than right off the bine.

3 Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:08 AM

Yep, my Chinook has taken over the trellis and has burrs all over it!

Already forming small cones, which I'll need to pick before the main crop - otherwise they will turn into “hop ghosts”…

The Cascade, Columbus and Willamette are still in pots - not much growth and not many burrs so not worth a pic.

4 Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:41 PM

Out of curiosity, where do you buy the seeds or juvenile plants from? Wouldn't mind getting one going.

5 Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:20 PM

You'll see offers, from fellow brewers, for giving away or selling hop rhizomes (a portion of the root) toward mid-year.

6 Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:57 PM

Anyone having any luck growing hops in Brisbane? I'd like to give it a go if it's possible.

I think the wife's eyes got stuck after she rolled them when I told her. ;)

7 Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 4:50 PM

Yep this is my first season growing and I have Cascade and Golding. Cascade has gone great guns but the Goldings are a bit slower but I am not to worried as it is the first year. Cheers

8 Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 8:47 PM

im keen to have a go and expand the vegi patch if anyones got rhizomes at some point up for sale?

9 Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 10:28 AM

PhilboBaggins:

I am. :)

This is a my 2nd year Chinook from Dr. Smurto. Its first year yielded bugger all but this year it has gone monkey shit.

There are flowers popping up all over the damn thing. To be frank, I absolutely hate brewing with whole flowers, but I think I'll make an exception this year and dump them all in a home grown Chinook IPA.

Anyone else growing? (Hops)

Hops are looking good Phil

is the fence around them to stop your dogs getting to them? i have read that hops are deadly to dogs if tehy eat them

10 Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 11:45 AM

Goldings hops first year planted

Grew reasonable considering the lack of care and vertical climbing space i provided them

11 Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 3:48 PM

RussellB5:

Hops are looking good Phil

is the fence around them to stop your dogs getting to them? i have read that hops are deadly to dogs if tehy eat them

I've heard that as well. The fence is for the dog, but more so that he doesn't eat the manure/dynamic lifter/blood and bone from the soil. He's an idiot.

All picked and I reckon I got about 1/2 kilo of hops.

Brewing with them tomorrow hopefully.

12 Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 3:51 PM

I thought the fence was to keep out that shadowy monster that seems to be hanging around

13 Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 3:53 PM

Yeah, I heard he's a pervert.

14 Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 12:55 PM

Well I have a Cascade and a Chinook in.
I live in FNQ so it will be interesting to see if I get any flowers.
They have come up and are looking quite happy at this stage.

15 Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 10:28 PM

I built a bit of a trellis and planted my Perle rhizome last Friday. It had some healthy looking shoots but hasn't poked its head above ground yet.

16 Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 5:17 PM

I cleared the weeds away from mine earlier in the week and found about 30 shoots poking up.

Bloody hell.

17 Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:59 AM

Hi
I am just new to this hop growing, i got some 2 average rhizomes and gave it a go but i think i have killed them, i dug them up and they are rotting and no sign of life, anybody have any spares or know where to get them cheap in Brisbane thanks for any help
cheers

18 Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 4:31 PM

Jumping on the bandwagon, three transplanted from pots today on the windiest day this year. Left some room for another three. Starting them of on short mesh, I am looking for some huge poles. If they survive the night I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers
Scottie
Valley Brew

19 Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 4:49 PM

Good afternoon (I hope) Scottie

I've never been able to put anything over you, so you know exactly where my skills lie*.

Gardening is certainly not one. In fact, forty years ago I couldn't even grow marijuana, and everyone told me it grew like a weed. However, my neighbour has a green thumb and some hops that are looking good. I don't know if this is the proper method, yet he has a single tall post about 2.5 metres on the eastern side of a fence, with wires forming a flat triangle from various horizontal distances from the base to the top of the single post. He's using 4 wires in total, and the outer wires are anchored in the ground about 2 metres from the base of the pole, to the top of the pole itself. The two inner ones about a metre. I think he used some old Hills Hoist type wire, and the hop vines/runners (whatever) seem to have no problem growing up them. He reckons it is a simple and inexpensive way to do - but as I mentioned, you'd only listen to my suggestions after a LOT of Ben's barley wine.

Cheers, Phil

Notes:
* If you do ever find an area where my skill might lie, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Edited 5:15 pm: Try to make it understandable to Earthtonian English speakers.

Edited again 5:30 pm: It's become blatantly obvious I can't describe things in words. So what I'm trying to get across is this flagpole method but only in 2 dimensions so it's flat! Don't worry, I'm going back to the naughty corner.

20 Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 5:43 PM

Hey Phil

You're a champ. My gardening skills aren't that great either, however we punch out Silverbeat, Mint, Tomatoes and beans by the kgs. I love the ideas that you posted, the trellis is very important apparently a hop bine can weigh up to 20kgs.

A break in the storm so here is my first pic, I am hopeful that I will end up with something like PB2 and Philbo have achieved

Is your neighbour the sharing kind?

Cheers from the Valley Brew