1 Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:23 PM

So SWMBO of all people came across the following recipe for “Viking Ale”, which I've roughly converted from imperial measurements to metric:\n\n3kg Pilsen LME (they ask for 8lbs, which is more like 3.6kg)\n450g dark brown sugar\n225g crystal\n225g smoked rye malt (huh? wtf?)\n30g crushed juniper berries\n30g hallertau hops\n1 six-inch juniper branch\nEuropean ale yeast\n\nThe original recipe (image) can be found here, including all-grain version\n\nLooks like the grains and branch are steeped then the hops and berries are boiled for an hour.\n\nThink it'd be worth doing? It's fairly straightforward but looks like it might be quite sweet.

2 Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 6:31 AM

I think you should give it a go; it's worth a shot. As for the sweetness I guess it depends on how much bitterness you get from the juniper branch.\n\nThere was an issue of Brew Your Own magazine a while ago that covered this topic with articles and recipes. If you are interested you can buy back issues on their website.\n\nAnd once you drink it you can go pillaging and conquering other nations. England would be a good place to start; they're used to it \n\nBelow is a link to the magazine.\n\nBrew Your Own - Viking Edition

3 Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:41 PM

Hey KR,\n\nThis recipe sounds great! In fact I've put it into my notes to try myself down the line.

4 Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 2:16 PM

HAGAR's ale, yum!!\n\nI'd be making it as close as possible to the recipe. Be aware that the link has it making 5 US gallons = 19 litres \n\nYou should be able to get rye from your local brewing store - if you don't have a smoker, you could roast it.\n\nApart from the hop bitterness (pellets will impart more bitterness than flowers), the juniper berries will add a kind of bitter/astringent character. I use just 5g for 15min in the boil with a Lemon Myrtle Witbier recipe and the juniper character is noticeable in the finished beer. Not sure what a Juniper twig will impart - more tannins maybe?? Can you get a twig? If not, maybe up the juniper berries another 10g.\n\nKeen to hear how this turns out.

5 Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 2:19 PM

I like beer, I like gin.\nJuniper Beer sounds like a winner to me

6 Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:47 PM

European Ale yeast?! How about US-05 or S-04?

7 Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Ok so I went to AHB with this question as well and I think what I've decided to do is try and make a “Juniper Ale”, more like a juniper flavoured and bittered beer than a traditional sahti.\n\nGot a cider ready to bottle at the moment and then everything I need for a wheat beer, so that gives me two or three weeks to work out the recipe. Should be enough time for me to change my mind about things a dozen or so times

8 Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:03 PM

Righto, it's recipe time for this bad boy \n\n3kg Coopers light LME\n200g light dry malt\n200g dark crystal\n200g rye\n100g brown sugar\n40g Hallertauer @60\n10g Hallertauer @20\n30g Juniper berries @15 (I have no idea how much bitterness this will impart)\n10g Hallertauer @10\n10g Hallertauer dry hopped, whenever I remember to do it\n\n10L boil, 23 litres total\n\nWhat do you think? My only concern is the juniper - how much and for how long?

9 Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:13 PM

Oh …\n\nOG 1.048\nFG 1.012\nIBU 22.8\nEBC 17.6\nABV 5.1%

10 Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:02 PM

King Ruddager:

Righto, it's recipe time for this bad boy \n\n3kg Coopers light LME\n200g light dry malt\n200g dark crystal\n200g rye\n100g brown sugar\n40g Hallertauer @60\n10g Hallertauer @20\n30g Juniper berries @15 (I have no idea how much bitterness this will impart)\n10g Hallertauer @10\n10g Hallertauer dry hopped, whenever I remember to do it\n\n10L boil, 23 litres total\n\nWhat do you think? My only concern is the juniper - how much and for how long?

\nHey KR,\n\nI think you are a bit conservative with your juniper additions The recipe in you OP has a lot more “juniper” going on in it than what you are proposing in yours. They have juniper smoked rye, and branches in the brew and 30g of berries boiled for 30mins…\n\nCome on ! Take a chance !\n\nBTW, I think your recipe looks great for a trial run. And will most likely make a great beer. What yeast? \n\nI have plans to put something like this down in the future. We should compare notes .

11 Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:05 PM

I've looked at lots of juniper recipes now and that was the only one that used fresh berries and the only one that boiled them for even close to that long. The others all seem to recommend an ounce of crushed, dried berries for varying amounts of time. 15 minute steep seemed to be the minimum and a 15 minute boil was the maximum. Who knows what will happen.\n\nI actually got my hands on my dried juniper berries today though, so I'm all ready to go next weekend

12 Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:34 PM

Oh, and “Nottingham Ale Yeast” is the answer to your other question. That was on advice from the lady at the LHBS.

13 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:04 AM

Is juniper a native plant Downunder? Up here in the GWN I can gather all my juniper ingredients around the neighbourhood.

14 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:48 AM

Nope, not native. Actually it was quite difficult to find!

15 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:01 AM

Next time you are looking for some juniper let me know and I'll send you some!

16 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:17 AM

I made Heston's braised pork belly last weekend and the recipe called for Juniper berries. I couldn't find any so just added some Gin instead

17 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 12:21 PM

AdamH:

I made Heston's braised pork belly last weekend and the recipe called for Juniper berries. I couldn't find any so just added some Gin instead

\n\n\nHow did the pork belly turn out?

18 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:13 PM

Canadian Eh!L:

Next time you are looking for some juniper let me know and I'll send you some!

\nHeh, I dunno what your customs and quarantine laws are like but you can barely get a chocolate bar into Australia, let alone some berries and a piece of tree The packet of dried ones only cost $2.80 or something anyway

19 Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 6:52 PM

Canadian Eh!L:

AdamH:

\n\n\nHow did the pork belly turn out?

\n\nIt was yummo - but, i didn't cook it for the 18 hours that Heston's recipe calls for, as I thought “that's ridiculous”

20 Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:20 AM

Just brewed this thing and … dunno how it's going to turn out. I had a taste of the first 100mL from the tap (you know, the worst bit) and it wasn't great. Couldn't taste the juniper at all Will just have to see what happens with this one over time I suppose. Might taste the hydrometer sample later …