During the 1900s, there were many hurdles to overcome, including the incessant drive of the prohibitionists in the early part of the century, the Great Depression of the 30s and the turmoil of two world wars.
But, successive generations of the Cooper family continued to grow the business by brewing fine ales, stouts and lagers in the natural, traditional way. As word spread and demand grew, Coopers products became available nationally and first exported to India and New Guinea in 1939.
In the late 1960s, through concerns about the long-term survival of naturally conditioned ales, Coopers invested heavily in lager production. And under Managing Director Bill Cooper, interstate and overseas sales of ales and stout grew through the 1980s, to represent 50% of beer production by 1990.
By 1997, it was apparent that the brewing operations at the leafy, inner city suburb of Leabrook could no longer meet future demand. Dr Tim Cooper then set out on a three-year journey to build a new, state-of-the-art brewery at Regency Park.