Turncoat IPLBeer type
craftBeer type Beer description What’s an IPL? You take all of the hop-forward citrus and pine hop goodness of an India Pale Ale and smooth it out with lager yeast. Flavoursome, with a serious bite and all the crisp smoothness you would expect from a great lager. By George, I think I'll have one! Flavour profile
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- 6.5% ABV
- Naturally Carbonated:
Step 1 : Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- In a 2 litre pan, mix a 250g pouch of Smooth Malt Extract with 500ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the Amarillo Hop Pellets and boil for 10mins.
- Remove from heat and cool the pan in a sink of iced water.
- Strain the cooled malt/hop mix into the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Add the Northwest Pale Ale to the FV.
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the W-34/70 and brew can yeast then fit the lid.
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 12C-15C.
- Fermentation should take 10 to 14 days.
- At around day 12 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on.
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 6.5% ABV.