Oval Office Honey AmberBeer type
craftBeer type Beer description A real buzz went around Washington and the world when the White House brewed their own beer, so this is our take on their Honey Ale. A subtle honey flavour provides a crisp rebuttal to the strong malt base at the heart of this amber ale. Fuggle hops add another layer of complexity to the profile and the traditional English yeast leaves the finish clean and true. Wander out to the East Lawn, take your shoes off, sip a few cold ones and chill… Flavour profile
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- 7.2% ABV
- Naturally Carbonated:
- 1.3kg Northwest Pale Ale
- 250g Smooth Malt Extract
- 250g Honey (of your choice)
- 12g Fuggle Hop Pellets
- Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
- Pack of Carbonation Drops
Step 1 : Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- In a 2 litre pan, mix a 250g pouch of Smooth Malt Extract with 500ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the Fuggle Hop Pellets and boil for 10mins.
- Remove from heat and cool the pan in a sink of iced water.
- Strain the cooled malt/hop mix into the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Add the Northwest Pale Ale and Honey to the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the S-04 yeast and fit the lid.
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 20C-24C.
- Fermentation should take 7 to 14 days.
- At around day 7 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on.
Step 3: Bottle
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 7.2 %ABV.