Hop Bomb (USA Double IPA)Beer type
craftBeer type Beer description Stand back, she’s gonna brew! This powerful flavour explosion of Sweet Malt and citrus is why the Hop Bomb IPA is one of our favourites. A resinous and lasting bitterness is coupled with a burst of tropical fruit and citrus hop aromatics; that will turn anyone within the blast zone into a casualty of this dangerous but delightful deep copper craft beer. Flavour profile
- Deep Copper
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- Naturally Carbonated:
- 1.3kg Diablo IPA
- 250g Pale Malt Extract
- 25g Bravo Hop Pellets
- 25g Citra Hop Pellets
- Lallemand BRY-97 Dry Yeast
- 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops
Step 1 : Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- In a 2 litre pan, mix the Pale Malt Extract with 1 litre of water and bring to the boil.
- Add half of the Bravo Hop Pellets and boil for 5mins.
- Remove from heat and cool the pan in a sink of iced water.
- Strain the cooled malt/hop mix into the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Add the Diablo IPA to the FV.
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the BRY-97 yeast and fit the lid.
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 18C-22C.
- Fermentation should take 7 to 14 days.
- At around day 4 add the remaining hop pellets - Bravo and Citra (we recommend wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper).
- On day 7 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on.
Step 3: Bottle
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days, expect about 1008 to 1012.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 6.5 %ABV.