British Bulldog Robust PorterBeer type
craftBeer type Beer description With a name like British Bulldog, you know this isn’t a quiet little pup you’d expect to see in someone’s handbag. It’s a bulldog; and it bites. This robust twist on a classic English Porter creates an intense roasted bitter dark chocolate flavour with a malty sweet finish and strong coffee, chocolate and dried fruit aroma that perfectly suits a variety of foods. Flavour profile
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- 6.6% ABV
- Naturally Carbonated:
- 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale
- 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Smooth
- 1 x 100g Midnight Wheat Grain
- 1 x 11g Lallemand Nottingham Dry Yeast
- 1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops
Step 1: Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- Place the Midnight Wheat Grain in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack it using a rolling pin.
- Stir into 500ml of hot water (not boiling) and let steep for about 1hr.
- Strain into a pot then bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Set the pot in a cold/ice water bath to cool then pour into the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Add the contents of the Winer Dark Ale and Smooth Malt Extract to the FV.
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the Nottingham and brew can yeast then fit the lid.
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 18C - 22C.
- Fermentation should take 7 to 14 days.
- At around day 7 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on.
Step 3: Bottle
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 6.6% ABV.