Big Red OneBeer type
craftBeer type Beer description Deep amber in colour and rich in flavour, this "big brew" will give you a warming sensation all the way down. At around 8% ABV, it is the type of beer that we like to call a "Stay-at-Home" beer. This brew displays a level of complexity that will see it develop nicely over 6 months or so but try one early, as well! Flavour profile
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- 8% ABV
- Naturally Carbonated:
- 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale
- 3 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Golden
- 1 x 12g Cascade Hop Pellets
- 1 x 12g Willamette Hop Pellets
- 1 x 11.5g Fermentis US-05 Dry Yeast
- 1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops
Step 1 : Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- In a 2 litre pan, mix a 250g pouch of Golden Malt Extract with 500ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the Cascade Hop Pellets and boil for 10mins.
- Then add the Willamette Hop Pellets and boil for another 5mins.
- Remove from heat and cool the pan in a sink of iced water.
- Strain the cooled malt/hop mix into the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Add the Bewitched Amber Ale and remaining two pouches of Golden Malt Extract to the FV.
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the US-05 and brew can yeast then fit the lid (if you have it, use the Krausen Kollar as this brew can produce plenty of foam).
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 20C-24C.
- Fermentation should take 7 to 14 days.
- At around day 7 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on.
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 8.0% ABV.