Black Moon RisingBeer type
craftBeer type Beer description The black moon is a rare occurrence, usually considered a time for new beginnings, and a Foreign Extra Stout is a potion potent enough for such an occasion. Midnight black, with robust malt character, and balanced, yet noticeable hop bitterness, cloaked in a large tan head of foam. Give this one time to mellow, it will prove worth the wait! Flavour profile
- Approx. Alcohol Level:
- 7.2% ABV
- Naturally Carbonated:
- 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Winter Dark Ale
- 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Robust
- 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Smooth
- 1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops
Step 1 : Mix
- Clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew.
- Add the Winter Dark Ale, Robust Malt Extract and Smooth Malt Extract to the Fermenting Vessel (FV).
- Fill the FV with cold water to the 8.5 litre mark.
- Sprinkle the yeast and fit the lid (if you have it, use the Krausen Kollar as this brew can produce plenty of foam).
Step 2: Brew
- Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 20C-24C.
- Fermentation should take 7 to 14 days.
- At around day 7 check the specific gravity (SG).
- Check the SG again the following day and so on
- The brew is ready once the SG has stabilised over a couple of days.
- Gently fill clean PET bottles to about 3cm from the top.
- Add 2 carbonation drops per bottle and secure the caps.
- Store the bottles upright in a location out of direct sunlight at or above 18C.
Step 4: Enjoy
- After at least two weeks, check for sufficient carbonation by squeezing the bottles.
- Bottles kept unrefrigerated should improve with age.
- When ready to drink, chill the bottles upright.
- The chilled beer may be poured into clean glassware, leaving the sediment behind.
- Expect the alcohol content to be approximately 7.2% ABV.